April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, fullandfuller, Ted Schefelbein, Karl Graebner, KDGJ, Stanton Hillis), 444 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have to remember that most of the original purchasers of these guns have past and that an unknowm number of failures were consigned to the trash heap without much further investigation or documentation. So this knowledge is for the most part lost to history.
As to litigation,
"To properly diagnose a blow up requires a formal failure analysis and metallurgical study, by an experienced examiner, and costs about $1500 done right. But unless a personal injury lawyer gets involved, it won't happen, and if the case goes to litigation, we'll likely never know the results."

Who is there to sue?

The 'old timers' I grew up with and learned from in the 1950's were quite adament against the use of damascus barreled shotguns. -Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 11/21/14 12:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Who is there to sue?"
Bystanders injured by shrapnel will sue the shooter for using barrels "proven to be unsafe", and likely win. Homeowner's insurance is also unlikely to cover the settlement.

I believe the old timers were mistaken, and after due diligence am currently betting my fingers on that conviction. And Lou Smith's statement was patently false, based on the studies of Sherman Bell and others

Jack O'Connor Outdoor Life 1942
A good many people resent being told that their much loved old guns were no longer safe. Just for the fun of it, Lou Smith (President of Ithaca Gun Co.) proofed (using 17,500 psi Proof Loads in 1942) a dozen or so damascus and twist beauties which were lying around the plant. Here's the dope: Most of the old timers busted loose with the first proof shell. The rest did with the second. Guns tried were cheap, medium priced and expensive: but all of them went. So if anyone wants to go ahead using modern smokeless stuff in a gun built for black powder, he can; but he can include me out.
Reviewing the findings Lou writes: "These birds who persist in using smokeless powder in twist and damascus barrels remind me of the guy who made a living by sticking his head in the lion's mouth at the circus. He got away with it for a long time; then one day he didn't!"

Damascus Mythology and Reality
https://docs.google.com/a/damascusknowle...ZhIiY62Hx4/edit

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somebody, Smith or O'Connor, made the whole thing up.

There is also a mythical person frequently referenced here who does not exist, and that's the 'knowledgeable double gun smith who can tell you if your gun is safe to shoot'.

They can measure, they can opine, they can nod approvingly, they can tell great tales of the past. They cannot, and will not, give you any kind of approval that a gun is safe because of liability. Nobody can control what YOU are going to do with the gun, so any such statement of safety is foolhardy. You won't find that man search as you may... it's entirely up to you to decide.

We want it that way, right? No proof houses for us, no nanny state watching our every move.

Freedom can have consequences so be careful out there and don't do nuttin' dumb.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

First, who would shoot 17,000 psi loads in their guns? Second, have the supposed tests of Lou Smith been confirmed?

I am inherently suspicious of someone who is tasked with selling new inventory that states you need to buy a new product because all of the previously sold products are no longer safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Exactly.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Birmingham proof house is processing vintage Damascus barreled guns every day. Perhaps someone should put the question to them. If such barrels are failing - wouldn't that be the most logical place?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Steve Helsley
The Birmingham proof house is processing vintage Damascus barreled guns every day. Perhaps someone should put the question to them. If such barrels are failing - wouldn't that be the most logical place?

This post begs the next question: Has the Birmingham Proof House every published any guidelines regarding the safety of Pattern-welded barrels? You'd think that they'd be the people with the most knowledge. At least a basic guide that would tell minimum specifications and condition that would be expected in a gun prior to being submitted to them for proof.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have some doubts about the Birmingham proof house. A friend who is a large bore collector and has more 4 bore breech loading shotguns than anyone wanted to know the bore diameter as most of his are different. He called the Birmingham proof house and they told him 1.053 and that was it. That is for muzzle loaders not breech loaders.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
Years ago my old friend Oscar Gaddy with the help of a noted authority did failure tests on a Parker Damascus gun. Long story short it went to 30,000 psi before it blew! These tests were covered extensively in Double Gun journal and lead to todays expanded us of old Damascus guns. I wish my old memory could pull the main author's name up because he did far more than a Parker and in fact di some real junk guns with safe results.
Dig out the articles and be surprised.
bill

Pretty sure you're referring to Sherman Bell's "Finding Out for Myself" articles. After he blew the Parker, he continued with destruction tests on a number of "clunkers". If I recall correctly, all of them withstood at least proof load pressures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know two people who had modern Remington shotguns blow. It was due to defective steel and both guys received major compensation from Remington. I believe a big recall was the final result.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.