April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (fab500), 411 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#385024 11/21/14 01:20 PM
FWP Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Can anyone tell me how to do this. Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't say I know for sure, but if it is like a Model 8, then you have to get the trigger bar out of there. It's been a while since I have pulled mine, but I recall it always takes me longer than it should to puzzle out, and something to do with the trigger/safety mechanism must be dealt with first.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gil Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

I realize that this is from last year, I found it while doing general research on a Merkel. I thought I would post the procedure in case someone else did a search on it. I do this every year or so on my Merkels to give them a deep cleaning - or every time they get rained on.
Remove fore end and barrels. Release the hammers. Remove the back screw on the trigger guard and rotate the trigger guard off the receiver. Remove the large screw under the trigger guard. Remove the two screws on the bottom of the receiver. If the triggerplate does not drop out, tap a wooden dowel on the plate, through the top of the receiver between the action flats and it should come out.
The buttstock will now come off easily.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

From seeing many a screwed up Merkel, thin bladed screw drivers aren't an option they are required to take them apart.

foxes rule
Gil Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Thin bladed hollow-grounds are required for any quality shotgun, but yes, they are essential on a Merkel. Those screw slots are narrow! I have one of Brownell's Magna-Tip thin-blade sets for general shotgun work but have custom-ground some of the bits to specifically fit each individual screw on both of my Merkel's. The slots on both are not pristine due to a former owner (but not too bad, Bubba didn't try his Craftsman screwdrivers) and I want to maintain them until I can get a set of jeweler's files and repair them. Engraved screws are a b!tch to fix without it being visible - to me, anyway. Picky, picky.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a fellow Merkel owner, what sort of sadist decided that they must have tin-foil screw slots in the first place? Form w/o reasonable function is ridiculous.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brownells used to have screw-slot files. Make the slots any size you want. It's your gun, innit?

just a thot

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

After I've made the screwdrivers to remove them so I can reslot them, exactly what would be the point?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is the Germans showing off their metallurgy skills, i.e., they can make steel that is so strong, their screw drivers can be paper-thin and still be strong enough to back out a stuck screw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ones needs to use a torch for such tasks...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.