April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Sun Dog, ithaca1, Lloyd3, skeettx, Drew Hause, 1 invisible), 878 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,830
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

The marking " A O Niedner, Dowagiac, Mich" means the rifle predates the Niedner Rifle Co. I'm sure one of Michael's books gives the date of incorporation of that company, but it is around 1920 as I recall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry Buffum:

"The marking ' A O Niedner, Dowagiac, Mich' means the rifle predates the Niedner Rifle Co. I'm sure one of Michael's books gives the date of incorporation of that company, but it is around 1920 as I recall."

-----------------------------

Petrov says this stamp was used 1920-1929. Which consideration seems to establish that this rifle must be chambered for the pre-Remington (1934) wildcat original .257 Roberts.

Any more opinions on altering the chambering to either the commercial .257 Roberts (Remington) or to the .257 Ackeley Improved?

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

David,
On the 88 Mauser, the tang sight, is it spring loaded so that it folds down, out of the way, when you exercise the bolt and pops back up when the bolt is returned to battery?
Nice looking gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, there's a kind of thumb stud you use to flip it up.

There's a reason the seller provided no photos of the front end of the rifle. The barrel was held in the stock originally by the Teutonic sort of key that goes through two escutcheons, the kind of thing you find on old black powder guns. The key and escutcheons are gone, and the escutchion holes are filled with solder. The trigger guard is held on by wood screws. And the front sight is missing. Fortunately, it was very cheap.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"One rifle I know about has a barrel marked A.O. Neidner Dowagiac Mich. On top and W.A. Sukalle Tucson Ariz. On the bottom without a Niedner or Sukalle barrel number. You figure that out."

-Michael Petrov, Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century, 2005, p. 84.

----------------------------
Did Petrov possibly know about my rifle, or is there another (pre-1930) Neidner-Sukalle? Who knows?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF
David,
On the 88 Mauser, the tang sight, is it spring loaded so that it folds down, out of the way, when you exercise the bolt and pops back up when the bolt is returned to battery?
Nice looking gun.

Aren't those flip up tang sights intended to be light focusers for allowing sharper sight pictures when using the barrel mounted sights, and not a sight itself per se? That's an explanation I've heard and it makes sense to me. Am I right?

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,
Gary is correct about the use of the tang "sight". I explained in your thread at the GGCA forum that the rifle is not a mauser, even though refered to as such. The rifle can be repaired with replacement key,etc.The key will be tapered as will the lug on the barrel.This dictates that the key be made so that it goes in from the right side.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary said:
"Aren't those flip up tang sights intended to be light focusers for allowing sharper sight pictures when using the barrel mounted sights, and not a sight itself per se? That's an explanation I've heard and it makes sense to me. Am I right?"

That flip up sight is the only rear sight on this rifle, and there is no evidence of any other rear sight having previously ever existed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary said:
"Aren't those flip up tang sights intended to be light focusers for allowing sharper sight pictures when using the barrel mounted sights, and not a sight itself per se? That's an explanation I've heard and it makes sense to me. Am I right?"

That flip up sight is the only rear sight on this rifle, and there is no evidence of any other rear sight having previously ever existed.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.