May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (MattH, Thymepeace), 934 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,848
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 14 stamped on the barrels of your gun should mean that it is bored as a fourteen gauge. If it chambers a 12 gauge shell something is drastically wrong!!!The gun looks to be of Belgian manufacture, despite the partial British proof marks.The use of fake British proof marks and makers names, was a significant problem for the British trade at the time this gun was made.
Looking at the condition of the gun I would consider it to be a wall hanger. Hope you are not too dissapointed.

Roy Hebbes
tomcast Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Roy, no I'm not disapointed or suprised. I guess that affects the value quite a bit, my brother will be disapointed though. He thought it was worth 2 or 3 thousand.
It also has a 12 in the diamond next to the 14 and the 12 has a C under it. Kinda hard to see. I thought this might mean choked 12 ga. If it was originally 14 ga, then someone bored & chambered it out to 12 at a later date. I doubt that because the muzzles look to be the right thickness for a 12. The barrels are original to the receiver, as all the numbers match.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And definitely twist steel barrels, despite the 'Laminated' stamp on the rib. I added the pics of the rib and brls to the 'Damascus Barrels' PictureTrail as a warning and you've possibly done a bunch of guys a real favor by starting this thread
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery.fcgi?p=999&gid=16082038

Last edited by revdocdrew; 05/05/07 05:34 PM.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. Almost surely a hardware store farm gun, but I will try and take some pics if I can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not that unusual to find 12 bore chambered guns with tight barrels measuring at 14 bore or even down to 15 from that early era. Just has black powder marks but not complete. The thing that puzzles me are the many stampings of the word 'England'. That sets the suspicious mind going. The butt plate design is about as non-English as you can get. May be spurious. As a gift it makes a nice wall piece. Lagopus.....

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by tomcast
Roy, no I'm not disapointed or suprised. I guess that affects the value quite a bit, my brother will be disapointed though. He thought it was worth 2 or 3 thousand.
It also has a 12 in the diamond next to the 14 and the 12 has a C under it. Kinda hard to see. I thought this might mean choked 12 ga. If it was originally 14 ga, then someone bored & chambered it out to 12 at a later date. I doubt that because the muzzles look to be the right thickness for a 12. The barrels are original to the receiver, as all the numbers match.
I actually had a high end German gun at one time that appeared to be a 14 that had been bored to 12, because the bore and chamber cast indicated this. However, I later found that the maker had a whole line of proprietary shotgun chamberings just like a lot of german rifle and drilling builders. One they pushed was a 14 bore with a cartridge very clos to a 12.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.