April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Hoot4570, Jason Dubois, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Momslefever), 518 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,094
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The thing I would like to know is what's the best donor shotgun gauge to used for this project?Also who can do this project?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Al, I am leaning toward 12 gauge just because of the availability of affordable components -- especially Magtech brass shells. Also, should I attempt to go with rifled choke tubes, these are widely available in 12 gauge. Not so in 10.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck Bill, n keep us posted mate
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would someone PM the spec. For poor man paradoxI have new in box Spanish
Made 10ga. Double that would like to have it rifled 10ga.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just won a Gunbroker auction for my donor round ball gun -- a Husqvarna Model 51 in 12 bore, with hammers. Now to select a set of suitable sights and find a smith who can shorten the barrels and remove a dent. I will start with trying to get round balls to regulate, and may also try to find some Brenneke-style slugs to work with.

Last edited by Bill/Oregon; 11/03/14 11:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just bought a Rossi 20 ga, with oddly enough, a Greener bolt, that put slugs at 20 yds about 1" apart at first test. Rt is Imp Cyl, left is Mod, both barrels landed slightly left, using the rib to center the bead. Seriously considering rifling the left choke with my homemade rifling cutter on my old 50" Atlas lathe--lathe is only used to polish barrels now. Making a stupidly fancy walnut stock for it now--the factory was birch, and I'm too old to shoot an ugly gun. Winter project--yee haw!

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

XS: You're a fortunate chap to A) have an Atlas lathe capable of rifling, and B) having the skills to make fancy walnut stock. Please post results!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I have the Husqvarna Model 51 in hand. I need to have a dent raised in the right barrel, and as the muzzle of the right barrel is damaged, I feel better about have the barrels cut to 26 inches. The gun is relatively light, so I believe I will start with round balls and black powder. Need to find or fabricate a very simple shallow-vee rear sight to go with the front bead.

Sidelock
Sidelock

xs,
How about showing photos of the set up for your Atlas lathe.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

What I did was fasten the rifling cutter(one groove) on a threaded rod, one end of which had an epoxy slug molded in a .45 cal junk barrel. The .45 cal barrel is chucked in the atlas, with an indexing pin, and power off. The shotgun barrel is clamped to the tool post base. As the threaded rod is pushed thru the barrel, the epoxy slug makes it rotate. The index pin is pulled to let the lathe chuck rotate for the next groove, when the cutter is out of the choke section of the shotgun barrel. Quite time consuming, since the cutter only cuts about .002" per pull, and the cutter needs to be shimmed out for another .002" after the first 6 grooves are cut. Much chip clearing every cut, even though the cut is about 2" long, in the choke part of the barrel. Howe's Gunsmithing has a diagram of rifling cutter construction.

hippie redneck geezer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.