April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Younger working people with money to spend are buying Beretta, Benelli, Browning self-loaders or modern vertical guns from Beretta, Browining,...... Sadly every year number of those looking for classic sxs is shrinking. Tony Wilcox told that to guy toting graded Parker few years ago. The kiss of death will be use of non-toxic shot for all upland game. There is no reason soft non-tox shot is going to cost much less than $4 per cartridge. For cost of 4 shells one can get whole box of quality upland steel loads.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

i do hope the nostalgia clay bird shooters continue to increase in numbers...and that the sporting clays facility owners continue to promote classic sxs only shooting events, such as does hidden hollow in pa and m&m in nj...

in fact it would be a wonderful thing if this forum could become a registry for upcoming sxs only shooting events...with its own sub forum taking the place of doublegun FAO?

Last edited by ed good; 11/02/14 04:54 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am going the other direction. I dont know if I am considered young at 34 but I sold almost all my vertical guns and only have one plastic gun. Everything else is now classic sxs's. I dont see this ever changing. Not many my age shooting sxs's but I have sold a couple to friends at losses to get them shooting and interested in sxs's.

I am trying to help you out Bobby but I have to sell in order to buy now and I am having a hard time doing that.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

rob: good job...we need more missionaries like you. and 34 is still very young, especially to us over 70...

here is an article i recently found that may be helpful to you and your friends as they develop an interest in sxs's.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/buying-side-by-side-shotguns-right-25-tips/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Maybe it's the LOUSY inspection/return policy.

smile smile smile X100
some of these shady kitchen table FFL's like "the torched one" in Francistown NH chickens are finally coming home to roost !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 80% condition- using the Fjestad Blue Book guidelines- 1927 Meridan mfg. Parker Trojan- 12 gauge 28" barrels- so just for the hell of it- I went to my copy of the Blue Book and checked out the following: page 771 Fox Sterlingworth in 80% at $875, an Ithaca NID at $500, an L.C. Smith post-1913 Field Grade at $1200 and the Parker Trojan at $3000- Any comments? "What's in a name?" Parker Brothers, Rolls-Royce, Rolex, Steinway, Mercedes-Benz, and the list goes on!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I paid $800 for my $500 12ga. Sterlingworth a number of years ago when people like me had money to spend.

Since it's now so worthless, certainly the modification police will no longer mind that the #2 30" barrels now have 2 3/4" chambers, the cones are 4" long, and the chokes are now .005 and .015. Mr. Danner rust blued the barrels and they look like new. The project is stuck at the stock refinishing stage, due to lack of ambition and/or funds. It works just fine as is.

I spent today shooting the 7.25 pound overweight pig at skeet and trap just to see if it's as big a POS as some of you folks seem to think it is.

My 7/8oz. load of #9 at 1120 fps only netted me a 95/100 at skeet. I do cheat and use an X wad in the left barrel. The 1oz. load of #9 from the right barrel scored 23/25 at singles trap. I chipped a few, and I did miss two.... but the others blew up like a chinese firework. 1oz. #9 through .005". Apparently, the hard shot and long cones work for this application.

The kids enjoyed seeing the 1926 model Fox do it's thing. I rather enjoyed the day. It's not a competition target gun, but it sure is fun to shoot. I did drop a few pheasants with it back when I first acquired it.

So, is it 'worth' the near $1300 I foolishly have 'into' it? I'm past the point of caring. I prefer now to just enjoy the day, and I have as much fun with a Benelli, an 1100, or a Krieghoff. They all have something to offer and I enjoy still being able to shoot anything off the rack reasonably well.

There will come a time when we can't. All of us. Just enjoy your guns now and forget all the financial and political and demographic crap. In the final analysis, it's only the day shooting that counts.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

No quite accurate there Eddie- Brian, obviously a shill for the forum, missed his syntax and proper spelling- he wrote "It is due to there light weight--" when the proper spelling in this context would have been: "their light weight" No spell check would pick up that homonym FUBAR however. I went to the Gunbusters website you seem to favor and checked out your feedback- 16 negative feedback comments out of a rumored 1518 transactions. One is one too many, but then, I use the old Bill Jaqua standard for gun dealers yet today- 3 day inspection and a 100% No Questions Asked for a Full cash refund on any used gun he ever sold, from Day 1 downtown in the town square in Findlay, Ohio. Maybe some day you'll fold your tent up and fade away, like Herschel Chaddick did- We await that event with bated (not baited) breath, amigo!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"There will come a time when we can't. All of us. Just enjoy your guns now and forget all the financial and political and demographic crap. In the final analysis, it's only the days shooting that counts."

amen to that!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.