March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (gunmaker, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 341 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since this post is meandering anyway I will throw in my two cents (worth every penny). I may have ordered a gun "bespoke" if the wait time wasn't one year plus. That is if you actually get what you ordered in the end.

I can't understand why none of the larger importers don't order a certain number of guns which can be quickly altered to fit as a "semi-custom" gun. Order the guns full and full and bore the chokes to customer preference. Order the stocks long and without a pad installed or the butt checkered. Have them cut, the butt checkered or a pad installed and bent to customer specifications. Don't look at it as a way to up the price, just charge enough to cover the work and deliver a gun in weeks instead of months (or years).

The Ugartecheas at Lion Country Supply are a great example. It seems to me they carry a decent inventory, but every gun is the same. Same barrel length, same chokes, same stock dimensions. It is true I could just buy what they sell and modify it to fit me, but you can't make a short stock longer (I am 6'4") and you can't make a loose choke tighter.

CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
I have shopped Spanish guns since reading (and re-reading and re-re-reading, etc.) MM’s “Spanish Best.”

If I'm not mistaken Terry Wieland authored the book "Spanish Best". smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

great input guys, this is really helpfull

John
Quality Arms

Thanks so much!1

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Originally Posted By: Rocketman
I have shopped Spanish guns since reading (and re-reading and re-re-reading, etc.) MM’s “Spanish Best.”

If I'm not mistaken Terry Wieland authored the book "Spanish Best". smile

sick blush

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

One additional thought. Spanish guns seem to have put on some weight in the last couple of years. 28 gauge guns used to run around 5 pounds 10 ounces to 5 pounds 13 ounces. Today you have to look hard to find one under about 6 pounds 2 ounces to 6 pounds 4 ounces. (I focus on the 28 gauge because that's what I was looking to purchase.) It seems true for 16s, which are approaching the standard British 12 gauge game gun weight of 6 pounds 12 ounces. The 12s are now running up to 7-1/4 pounds. I'm sure some of this results from strengthening the guns to handle the higher pressure of American factory loads, but if you're marketing to a traditional game gun buyer, that matters as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 2009 AyA 4/53 (20 gauge) I just got (with a 15" stock) is 5 pounds 14 ounces empty. That would put it right at the "rule of 96" for a 1 ounce load.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Spanish guns might be a bit heavier in that their barrels are mostly new and comparable English guns will likely have had their barrels polished out several times over a gun's useful lifespan. Certainly, guns made for heavy loads (and use) will weigh a bit more, but most of the Spanish guns I've owned or looked at were right on the money for weight, with 12s ranging from 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 lbs for a standard game gun (28-inch tubes, 15-inch LOP). The few 2-inch guns I've handled were a bit heavier than their English counterparts, and that is clearly because of wall thickness differences (not as many attorneys in the 1930s I guess)._

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof

--- snip ---
I can't understand why none of the larger importers don't order a certain number of guns which can be quickly altered to fit as a "semi-custom" gun. Order the guns full and full and bore the chokes to customer preference. Order the stocks long and without a pad installed or the butt checkered.
--- snip ---

Alas, not happening. The stock LOP and chokes are the least of it.

How about DAC, DAH, cast and pitch? And rebalancing the gun when the stock is cut shorter?

And the guys who want thirty inch barrels, twenty-five inch barrels, or something in the middle. Then there are the folks who want a Churchill rib, or a Woodcock rib, or a swamped, concave rib, or some other damn thing. And the people who want extractors rather than ejectors, or an assisted opener. Or the guy who wants a live pigeon gun rather than a light game gun – or the fellow who says a plague on that, I want a medium game gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
One additional thought. Spanish guns seem to have put on some weight in the last couple of years. 28 gauge guns used to run around 5 pounds 10 ounces to 5 pounds 13 ounces. Today you have to look hard to find one under about 6 pounds 2 ounces to 6 pounds 4 ounces. (I focus on the 28 gauge because that's what I was looking to purchase.) It seems true for 16s, which are approaching the standard British 12 gauge game gun weight of 6 pounds 12 ounces. The 12s are now running up to 7-1/4 pounds. I'm sure some of this results from strengthening the guns to handle the higher pressure of American factory loads, but if you're marketing to a traditional game gun buyer, that matters as well.

There’s a misapprehension here. The weight of a Spanish shotgun is determined by purpose of the gun, within the constraints of the configuration desired by the customer. A light game gun will usually run lighter than a medium game gun, and the medium game gun will usually be lighter than a pigeon (i.e. competition) gun. There is no standard gun weight because there is no standard gun. Here’s an example:

Both guns are 12 gauge. The gun on the right is an AyA model 53 built as a classic medium game gun. The gun on the left is a Luis Arrizabalaga model 228, built as a live pigeon gun. See the difference? The medium game gun is made for the occasional driven hunt, or for boar, and will be fired maybe a few hundred times a year. The pigeon gun is made to stand up to week in and week out high money competition, and may see a several hundred shells a week.

Those are examples of medium to heavy guns. Here is a light game gun, a 12 gauge Ascensio Zabala:

Note the thin and narrow action and the absence of any reinforcement or bolsters. This is a light game gun, made to be “carried much, shot little.”

When we see a significant difference in weight between two Spanish shotguns, we’re seeing two shotguns with different purposes.

Last edited by Kyrie; 10/02/14 05:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie:
A very informative post. I for one had no idea they were configured this way in Spain.
What would a customer expect to get if, for example, they ordered a custom built Spanish gun and specified it was to be used for Quail and Grouse but also as a regular Skeet gun?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.