May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, LGF, 1 invisible), 364 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,517
Posts545,694
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27
Sidelock
Sidelock

REAGAN, NOT THE FIRST AND NOT THE ONLY ONE
Ludwig Erhard
Time, Nov. 1, 1963
Ronald Reagan was not the first government leader to practise supply-side economics, says Willy De Wit. After World War II Ludwig Erhard put in practice supply-side economics in Western Germany in 1948. At that time he was in charge of economic policy. He introduced an economic shock therapy completely in line with Reaganomics. He abolished rationing and price-controls, although he restricted his own power with this measure. Erhard believed in the self regulation of the market. Not only the Social Democrats were vehement opponents of the abolishment of price-control, but also Lucius D. Clay, the US. military governor, was furious. Erhard had pushed through the economic deregulation without ever asking the general. Clay called Erhard to account, thundering that the professor had infringed upon the Allies’ privileges by changing the rationing regulations. Erhard coolly responded : “you are mistaken, sir, I have not changed them, I have abolished them.”

Later on Erhard, as secretary for the economy, cut the high marginal tax rate in two steps: first from 95% to 63% and afterwards to 53%. The first 8000 DM earned became tax free.

The decisions taken by Ludwig Erhard allowed West-Germany to rebuild itself at a pace never seen. No surprise that he was called the “father of the wirtschaftswunder”.

The German economic miracle cannot be explained by the Marshall Plan. Britain and France received Marshall money too, but they wasted their chances. Britain voted Labour, which brought rationing and price controls. France opted for economic protectionism, which prevented Marshal help to be used in an efficient way.

After Reagan, the theory of supply-side economics was applied in numerous countries. In Iceland, David Oddson became prime minister in 1991. He inherited a poorly performing economy burdened by heavy income taxes. He lowered the corporate tax rate from 50% to 30%. During the next five years the economy grew by 5% per year. Government income did not fall and social outlays could be maintained.

Ireland is another example. In 1987 this country was the “sick man” of Europe, with a public debt of 135 % of GDP. After the elections of 1987 a new economic policy was introduced. Corporate tax rate was reduced from 32% to 12.5% and capital gains tax was lowered from 40% to 20%. Ireland is now the fastest growing country of the EU. Japan, to the contrary, is a classic example of the failure of a Keynesian demand-side policy. The economy has been in shambles for many years and public debt has risen to a gigantic 170% of GDP.

The following graph compares government spending and GDP per capita in Ireland and Belgium between 1960 and 2003. The Irish 'turning point' came with the adoption of supply-side economics.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

SUPPLY-SIDE ECONOMICS AND THE LAFFER CURVE

Laffer curve
Supply-Side economics is widely misinterpreted as the Laffer curve. Arthur Laffer, an economics Professor at University of Southern California claimed that an important feature of supply-side economics is that tax cuts will pay for themselves. Laffer became famous after he illustrated this idea on a napkin in a restaurant in Washington in 1974. But the question is not whether tax cuts pay for themselves, but whether they are more effective in creating economic growth and welfare, compared to a Keynesian policy of increasing government spending. The difference between Keynesianism and the supply side school centers on fiscal policy. Does a successful fiscal policy work by incentives (tax cuts) or by increasing demand (spending)? The important question is not whether such a fiscal policy will pay for itself. The Keynesians stress demand, supply-siders stress incentives. Changing fiscal policy by creating incentives will change the behaviour of people. If tax rates rise, people will reduce their participation in taxed economic activities, such as working, risk-taking, investment and saving. When tax rates go down, people are motivated to increase their economic activity. The economic expansion that will follow a tax cut is far more important than the fact that tax cuts should pay for themselves. Most politicians in Western Europe have not yet understood this very important distinction. Even worse: the media in Europe have killed Reaganomics because they do not understand this difference.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61, you continue to post a lot of interesting, but irrelevant crap. Very little of what you posted is relevant to the specific question at hand, i.e., did Reagan reduce taxes across the board. You claim he reduced taxes, while I claim he reduced tax rates and increased actual taxes. The facts related to this specific issue prove my point.

Read this:
Quote:
The Tax Reform Act of 1986 was given impetus by a detailed tax-simplification proposal from President Reagan's Treasury Department, and was designed to be tax-revenue neutral because Reagan stated that he would veto any bill that was not. Revenue neutrality was targeted by decreasing individual income tax rates, eliminating $30 billion annually in loopholes, while increasing corporate taxes, capital gains taxes, and miscellaneous excises.[1] The act raised overall revenue by $54.9 billion in the first fiscal year after enactment [2] As of 2014, the Tax Reform Act of 1986 was the most recent major simplification of the tax code, drastically reducing the number of deductions and the number of tax brackets (for the individual income tax) to three.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Reform_Act_of_1986
Note that the TRA86 raised revenue substantially in the first year after enactment, before any of the economic impetus that it would have created could possibly have taken effect. Also note that the act increased corporate taxes. Those corporate taxes came out of your pocket, because when corporations experience increased costs, they pass those costs on to their consumers. You don't see that tax increase directly, but the corporation pays it and then charges you through higher prices. It's still a tax increase.

Another relevant segment from the same article:
Quote:
Moreover, interest on consumer loans such as credit card debt was no longer deductible. An existing provision in the tax code, called Income Averaging, which reduced taxes for those only recently making a much higher salary than before, was eliminated (although later partially reinstated, for farmers in 1997 and for fishermen in 2004). The Act, however, increased the personal exemption and standard deduction.

The Individual Retirement Account (IRA) deduction was severely restricted. The IRA had been created as part of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, where employees not covered by a pension plan could contribute the lesser of $1500 or 15% of earned income.[6] The Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 (ERTA) removed the pension plan clause and raised the contribution limit to the lesser of $2000 or 100% of earned income. The 1986 Tax Reform Act retained the $2000 contribution limit, but restricted the deductibility for households that have pension plan coverage and have moderate to high incomes. Non-deductible contributions were allowed.

Depreciation deductions were also curtailed. Prior to ERTA, depreciation was based on "useful life" calculations provided by the Treasury Department. ERTA set up the "accelerated cost recovery system," or ACRS. This set up a series of useful lives based on 3 years for technical equipment, 5 years for non-technical office equipment, 10 years for industrial equipment, and 15 years for real property. TRA86 lengthened these lives, and lengthened them further for taxpayers covered by the alternative minimum tax (AMT). These latter, longer lives approximate "economic depreciation," a concept economists have used to determine the actual life of an asset relative to its economic value.

Defined contribution (DC) pension contributions were curtailed. The law prior to TRA86 was that DC pension limits were the lesser of 25% of compensation or $30,000. This could be accomplished by any combination of elective deferrals and profit sharing contributions. TRA86 introduced an elective deferral limit of $7000, indexed to inflation. Since the profit sharing percentage must be uniform for all employees, this had the intended result of making more equitable contributions to 401(k)'s and other types of DC pension plans.

Changes to the AMT[edit]
The original Alternative Minimum Tax targeted tax shelters used by a few wealthy households. However, the Tax Reform Act of 1986 greatly expanded the AMT to aim at a different set of deductions that most Americans receive. Things like the personal exemption, state and local taxes, the standard deduction, private activity bond interest, certain expenses like union dues and even some medical costs for the seriously ill could now trigger the AMT. In 2007, the New York Times reported, "A law for untaxed rich investors was refocused on families who own their homes in high tax states."[10]

So, TRA86 eliminated a bunch of deductions that had been used by a majority of taxpayers across the country, and imposed the AMT on a much greater segment of the population. Reagan deduced marginal tax rates, while imposing those rates on a higher tax base. If you were not smart enough to be using those deductions, or if you were not in a financial position to use those deductions, than you actually got a net tax reduction. But the prudent taxpayers who were making more than low income wages saw a significant increase in their tax burden. The Reagan tax increase legacy lives on today in the form of the AMT.

The Internal Revenue Code is more than 80,000 pages and I'm not going to try to explain it all to you. Do your research, stick to the point at hand, and leave ideology aside. You will find that Reagan did increase taxes, regardless of what the marketing and political spin would lead you to believe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is your point? Are you saying the tax increases caused the Reagan economic boom? Are you saying that the increased taxes we are now experiencing is a good thing, in economic terms? Reagan's policies provided more economic freedom in the private sector. Are you saying that the current highest-in-the-world corporate taxes are good? Are you denying this? True, deductions were reduced or eliminated which did affect some people, but the overall economic conditions improved. You can quibble all you want, again, what is your point?

Last edited by Ken61; 09/27/14 12:23 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
What is your point? Are you saying the tax increases caused the Reagan economic boom? Are you saying that the increased taxes we are now experiencing is a good thing, in economic terms? Reagan's policies provided more economic freedom in the private sector. Are you saying that the current highest-in-the-world corporate taxes are good? Are you denying this? True, deductions were reduced or eliminated which did affect some people, but the overall economic conditions improved. You can quibble all you want, again, what is your point?

I would suggest that you practice reading and comprehension, and quit injecting irrelevant and superfluous points into the discussion. My point is the same as it has been since the beginning of this discussion: Reagan did not cut TAXES, he cut TAX RATES, and tax collections increased immediately as a direct result of his restructuring of the tax code. Bottom line: he took more money from all of us, on an aggregated basis, not less.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:

I would suggest that you practice reading and comprehension, and quit injecting irrelevant and superfluous points into the discussion. My point is the same as it has been since the beginning of this discussion: Reagan did not cut TAXES, he cut TAX RATES, and tax collections increased immediately as a direct result of his restructuring of the tax code. Bottom line: he took more money from all of us, on an aggregated basis, not less.

While technically correct, would you kindly explain if you are saying that the above was a good or a bad thing? The way you have phrased the point makes it appear you are arguing that Reagan's policies were a failure because they resulted in increased treasury revenue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
While technically correct, would you kindly explain if you are saying that the above was a good or a bad thing? The way you have phrased the point makes it appear you are arguing that Reagan's policies were a failure because they resulted in increased treasury revenue.

Increased taxes on a fixed tax base are generally a bad thing, and that is what Reagan's early tax changes accomplished. I hate to refer to increased tax collections as Treasury revenue, because revenue implies that they earned the money rather than arbitrarily taking it from us. There is a huge amount of debate in economic circles about whether and how Reagan's policies contributed to "his" economic recovery, but the fact is that there was significant macroeconomic improvement during his term in office, and that is indisputable. The additional tax collections that resulted from overall economic improvements represent legitimate enhancements to Treasury's revenue stream. But this does not obviate the fact that Reagan did not "reduce taxes across the board" as Ken61 originally stated. Reagan's tax rate and other tax code changes actually increased taxes, and would have resulted in increased tax collections from all of us (again, in the aggregate), even if there had been no economic recovery.

The fact that Reagan increased taxes is a bad thing. The fact that there was a coincident economic recovery that contributed additional tax collections is a good thing. Perhaps even Ken61 can follow that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement, are you confused?

I don't know your mental state, English comprehension abilities, nor your I.Q. I do know that you are confused. You're attributing DaveK's statement that Reagan cut taxes "Across the Board" to me. My interjections were about specific instances where that situation resulted in tax cuts for individuals. If you go back and have someone read this to you, perhaps you'll understand it this time. If you'll recall the debate at the time, the Democrats insisted on eliminating deductions and the "closing of loopholes" in the tax code as conditions of their support on reduction of marginal rates. To their Keynesian thinking, the economy would not significantly improve. Of course, history has proven them wrong, and the resulting economic growth far exceeded the negative effects of the restructuring. No I do not, nor ever have, disputed the fact that the elimination of the politically-granted loopholes and deductions did not result in taxes increasing on the people who had been receiving them. Nor did I agree with them, I never agree with raising taxes. They were the political price the democrats required. I do agree with the concept of a simplified tax code, even a flat tax, with elimination of politically granted advantages. As it is, that's why the Tax Code is so obscenely huge now, it's mainly a collection of detriments and advantages that have been granted for political reasons. Are we clear now?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61, you are correct that DaveK originally made the comment about the "across the board" tax cuts. But you, in Post 378963, stated:
Quote:
Technically, if you look at it on an individual basis, he certainly did cut taxes.
So, the "across the board part" does not apply to you, but the assertion that Reagan actually reduced taxes is correctly attributed to you, and you are still wrong about that. After 18 pages, the drivel from you clowns does tend to run together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, I'll concede the point, only because I should have been clearer, as it was not universal, and it was not my intention to apply it as such. My first sentence in post #378973 clearly was an attempt to address the deductability issue. Even though my initial point in my previous post clearly stated that Reagan cut Tax Rates.

I'll modify my statement to include that "some individuals, specifically those who utilized deductions and loopholes that were eliminated as the political payment for Democrat support, actually experienced a tax increase".

Fortunately, the positive economic effects of the rate reductions far outstripped the initial negative effects.

Sticks and stones will break my bones, etc.

Again, what is your point about Reagan's economic policies. Are you trying to say they didn't work? If so, clown and moron, etc. would have to apply to you....Take your meds and chill out...

Last edited by Ken61; 09/27/14 06:50 PM.

Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.