April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, 2 invisible), 777 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,131
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug K,
Charles Lancaster was 'long-gone' when your rifle was made.
He died in 1878 and was replaced by his brother, Alfred, who died in 1890. In 1892 the company was purchased by H.A.A. Thorn who then operated as "Charles Lancaster"until his death in 1914.

"Slugging" the barrel involves driving a soft oversize lead ball
through the barrel. The groove diameter is thus established. While your barrel may not have traditional 'grooves,' you'll still need to know the maximum diameter for proper bullet selection. Your proof marks will likely include a "39" which is the typical bore size for .500s.

Paper patch bullets aren't necessary.

As to reloading dies, 7/8"x14 are available for the .500 but you'll be better served by 1" x 14. Proper sizing of the head of .500 basic cases can be a problem with 7/8" diameter dies.

DOUG K Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Steve, thanks for the information. I am convinced that someone somewhere has the production records but it will take considerable detective work to find them. Double guns and rifles have a history and will be an interesting bit of research to discover.

As to reloading dies RCBS offers the following: 56618 .500-450 #1 EXPRESS 3-DIE STEEL SET, however, there is no details as to whether they are 7/8"x14 or 1"x14. Do you have a recommendation as to which manufacturer (i.e. RCBS, etc.) supplies the 1"x14 dies?

Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug K,
1"x14 RCBS dies are in Group X - pricey and you'll need a press
that accepts 1" dies.

Keep in mind that there are different 500/450s. That's why a chamber cast is a good idea. Were it me, once I had the cast, I'd send it to Superior to match it up with their ammo. Keep in mind that when your rifle was made, cartridge and chamber dimensions hadn't been standardized. Superior sells cartridges in 10-round lots. Buy ten and shoot them. Send sample cases to RCBS to see how they match up with their dies. If you're not using 'basic' brass, 7/8"x14 dies should work fine. Given how much you'll shoot it - you might decide to just buy loaded ammo from Superior. A proper reloading set-up (press, dies, scale, powder dispenser, trimmer, etc) will cost about $750 to 1K.If you're not an experienced reloader, this is a difficult place to start.

http://www.superiorammo.com/customammunition.html

DOUG K Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Steve, Thanks for the advice.

I have most of the reloading equipment already (RCBS 7/8") except the .500 dies. I have been reloading (rifle, pistol and shotgun) for some time so experience is not an issue.

I don't have the rifle in hand yet and there is some brass that goes with it but just how many is an unknown. I will have to travel to Boise from SLC to pick up the rifle and that will happen sometime mid month in October.

I intend on acquiring additional brass so purchasing loaded rounds from Superior is in order after the chamber casts are made.

The chamber cast will be one of the first things I do. The process seems to be straightforward and the casting metal inexpensive. There are many on line how-to videos on the process. Safely handling hot metal is my biggest concern but I have all the PPE (personal protective equipment) to do that.

There appears to be some shooting competitions available for black powder cartridge rifles. Apparently there was one for double rifles in Baker, OR in 2013. There appears to one near Cody, WY and Bozeman, MT (I hope to move to Bozeman in the next year). The competitions would be interesting and would offer opportunities for networking with other double rifle shooters.

I am a newbie and novice regarding English guns and rifles so I REALLY APPRECIATE any and all advice I can get.

Regards,

Doug K

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.