May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (tut, doublenut, welder), 1,126 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,514
Posts545,670
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
If US press anything like Canada's, it's almost totally owned by conservatives. Canadian newspapers are peeing all over our majority conservative government, often with good reasons according to my conservative friends.

Perhaps Ken will tell us how the rich conservative owners are corrupted by their workers to celebrate not only another ideology but merrily follow them into criminality and religious statism. Seems strange to me.

Comrade King,

If you want analysis, you have to provide a specific example. In America its easy, as normal profit motives are disregarded, (MSNBC, CNN, etc.) with the statist viewpoint being professed despite dismal ratings. Also, the influence of the New York Times is a large factor, setting the statist slant for issues despite a massive contraction of the paper's financial status in recent years.

Last edited by Ken61; 09/21/14 07:52 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Normal profit motives rule in Canada but every newspaper except one endorsed the conservative federal government in the last election. Those newspapers almost without exception now are all over the conservative government, editorially representing the owners and in news columns reflecting public sentiment. When did US newspapers start "disregarding" profit?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken Burns and biographer Cook say there's no proof ER was a lesbian. What difference does it make if she was? She was a remarkable American, useful, accomplished, effective. I can't think of another American in public life with her courage, to the point of writing a book criticizing her husband's work; not just any husband, a great president. I believe she may have been a lesbian but no one knows where her love fitted in the range of erotic relationships behind closed doors and drawn blinds. Nor do I care.

Sidelock
Sidelock

....When did US newspapers start "disregarding" profit?

Tough to say, but it's probably some time before '03 when the jayson blair incident reluctantly uncovered how the 'news' is fabricated by the nyt. TV 'news' easily shows the 'profit' in cheer leading the left comes from redistribution, not sponsor dollars through viewership.

Sidelock
Sidelock

....What difference does it make if she was? She was a remarkable American, useful....

....Nor do I care.

Interesting, useful? All that ever seems to matter is the ends. No wonder you 'care' so much for the minutia of the mantra against influential R's, helps keep 'em in their place.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To say Jason Blair shows that the NYT fabricates news is to take the "one bad apple" metaphor beyond credibility. There are many references to the so-called liberal media from members here who constantly parade the fabricated outrage of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and the whole Fox News circus. Network news is practically worthless, not because it's biased, but because its coverage is a joke. I think of it as News Lite. The bias in the networks is detectable, but it's minor compared to Fox where every story is presented, not to inform, but to inflame. Anybody who believes anything beyond the fact that events happen from Fox reporting might as well wear earmuffs and a blindfold.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, as a consumer of news on both sides of the border, I think you are wrong when you describe Fox as being more outrageous, more inflammatory than network news or CNN or MSNBC. They are all useless because none of them are consistently unbiased and truthful. Have you listened to Chris Matthews anytime since Obama came of the scene. He fawns over both Obama and Hillary like a paid sycophant. I get outraged by MSNBC, you get outraged by Fox. Same shit, different pile. Each of them aims for their constituents.

And lets also be clear. There is one Fox. There are the three major networks, plus CNN and MSNBC.

The remarkable thing is that while aiming for their constituent market brings Fox lots of profits, it is bankrupting CNN and MSNBC. So when the conservatives on here talk about the left wing bias of the MSM, it is that obvious lack of pursuit of profits that makes the bias so clear.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

James and King: I stand corrected on the meaning of "sailing too close to the wind". Thanks.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/21/14 11:00 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Letters Between Eleanor Roosevelt & Lorena Hickok

Eleanor Roosevelt (ER) and Lorena Hickok began their decades-long relationship in 1933, before FDR's inauguration. Lorena, or Hick (as ER called her) was a highly successful reporter, and ER was about to become First Lady. They shared an emotional and romantic relationship that peaked in passion and later developed into a friendship that endured until death.

When their relationship began, ER was not a naive, inexperienced woman. Biographer Blanche Wiesen Cook states that after 1920, many of her closest friends were lesbians, and that she both honored their relationships and preserved their privacy. ER's letters (and she wrote ten to fifteen page letters daily to Hick for a time) indicate a romantic attachment that was physical. She knew what kind of attachment this was, and the secrecy its nature demanded. As a result, finding evidence is difficult--but not at impossible.

The relationship these two women shared has been--not surprisingly--heavily censored over the years. While they lived, photographs of family dinners were cropped to remove Hick's image. If she was included in a photograph, she was not identified. And she was certainly not talked about, even to biographers. After ER's death, Hick herself edited and retyped much of their correspondence. She burned some of ER's letters and many of her own. After Hick's death, her sister Ruby read the original versions of their first year of correspondence and then threw them in the fireplace, saying, "This is nobody's business."

Even Doris Faber, author of The Life of Lorena Hickok: ER's Friend was horrified by the correspondence. She tried to get the letters sealed from the public until after the year 2000, and when she couldn't do that, she decided to ignore content that reflected on the relationship. About one particularly romantic passage, she declares that there can be little doubt that "it could not mean what it appears to mean."

The collection Empty Without You: The Intimate Letters of Eleanor Roosevelt and Lorena Hickok, published in 1998, recently gave the public a new glimpse into the life of one of America's most beloved First Ladies.

Top of page
Letters

Some excerpts:

March 5, 1933, ER to Hick
March 7, 1933, ER to Hick
[Date not provided], ER to Hick
[Date not provided], Hick to ER

And your point is...????

The world has known ER was a lesbian for quite some time. Proof is not required. Few give a crap. She wasn't president. Her dick of a husband was. Lots to crap on there, although this thread is supposed to be about TR.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your reputation preceded you, Mike. We knew it was an honest mistake. When I sat on Galveston Bay drinking big pitchers of beer I never thought of it as real water!

Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.