March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27
#378154 09/18/14 06:32 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hope all of you have been enjoying Ken Burn's new series as much as I have. I'd forgotten many details of Teddy's crusade against the robber barons, the railroads, the financiers, and the copper kings. I was pleased to see how exactly his political views parallel my own in our present circumstances. As often as I've been labeled a libtard here, I seem to be in good company. If I'm a libtard, So is Teddy Roosevelt.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

He also campaigned and acted against state rights and for a powerful central government. While in Wilson's Administration he was chomping at the bit to get us into the Great War.

I like our National Park System and give him credit for that.

I have been watching the series. I am mostly against everything he, his niece Elanor, and his fifth cousin FDR did and tried to do.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's OK with me, Mike. I enjoy most of your posts, and you've never called me a libtard. The park system is a great monument to Theodore Roosevelt, and they've been a prod to many Presidents since then to commit more public land to permanent preservation. It seems to me a weak federal government caused the Great Depression, and a lack of proper regulation caused the bust in Reagan's presidency and in Bush's. States' rights seem small change compared to letting big money do whatever they please to get even bigger.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can see where a strong fed. gov. has helped us preserve fed land so well that with a few more regulations we may be able to keep hunters from trespassing in our damaged public lands and allow nature to revert back to an unspoiled time. But, there are some regulations that don't work out so well, like welcoming four islamic state terrorist through our unregulated southern border barely a week ago on the tenth. Wish we could follow the law like TR might have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to see trashed public lands I invite any and all of you to go down near the border in Arizona and walk around. The damage that has been done by illegals who could care less is severe and in some cases may be non reversible at least in the short run.
One of the best measures that could be taken to protect these public trust lands would be to REALLY crack down and get the border secured. This of course won't happen until we get rid of the current inept administration.
Every time I think of this administration ridiculous statements that "The border is secure." I'd like to see this shoved right back at them during the upcoming campaigns.
As an aside: I just saw a segment on Hannity of the Islamists openly mocking Obama and his 'policies " on tv.
Also when a Congressman brought up the fact the 4 Terrorists had been apprehended on the Texas border on Sept. 10 as they attempted to cross with one of the Homeland security top administrators he publicly stated that he was "unaware of this".
Obama is really clueless and he and his administration have truly disgraced this Country.
Jim
I did not mean to hi-jack this thread so getting back to the Roosevelts; Franklin was a closet communist a point that will probably be conveniently omitted from this series.

Last edited by italiansxs; 09/18/14 11:16 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, maybe this is a situation that Bill thinks parallels his own views today.

Sec. jeh j was asked by Congressman Chaffetz if he was aware of any terrorists crossing the southern border, that's what he was unaware of. Next, the specific 10 Sept. issue was brought, then he back peddled, heard reports, but wasn't sure if they were credible. You hang in there Jim, that's your backyard, not some out of sight out of mind babble from the feller tasked to protect the homeland.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Craig:
As I'm typing this I was just informed the Sky Harbort Airport is on lockdown due to someone being there with a gun. We are at the forefront of this illegal invasion and I could tell all of you a few stories regarding what I've personally seen that would curl your hair.
We need to get some real control here and we need to do it fast or I'm personally very concerned about the consequences.
The occupant of the White House has done next to nothing and both he and the former head of "Homeland Security" have consistently maintained that the border is secure. This is a sick joke and just one more example of his proclivity to lie.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 09/19/14 12:55 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From TR's opening address, the Governors' Conference (on conservation) May, 1908. The printed program had the title: Conservation as a National Duty
You have come hither at my request, so that we may join together to consider the question of the conservation and use of the great fundamental sources of wealth of this Nation. So vital is this question, that for the first time in our history the chief executive officers of the states separately, and of the states together forming the Nation, have met to consider it. It is the chief material question that confronts us, second only-and second always-to the great fundamental question of morality.
As a result of this Conference, Roosevelt:
1. Created a National Conservation commission chaired by Gifford Pinchot with commissions on; public lands, inland waterways, and national conservation.
2. Called a North American Conservation conference to enlist the aid of Canada and Mexico
3. Created five more National Parks
4. Proclaimed 16 National Monuments, including the Grand Canyon, Muir Woods, and the Gila Cliff Dwellings, New Mexico
5. Declared 13 new National Forests
6. Created 16 Federal Bird Refuges, starting with Pelican Island, FL
7. Established the first Federal Game Preserve at Wichita Forest, OK

Some private property was appropriated by the government in the process and I don't think that was a bad thing. The (God given) brilliance of our Constitution is the system of checks and balances, and in TR's day the congress was controlled by the 'malefactors of great wealth' and the little guy had no chance for a 'square deal'. Sadly, today the balance is weighted in favor of the intellectual and moral superiority of the progressives who control the courts. The 9th Circuit just decided that the first amendment right to wear a flag on one's shirt ends on Cinco de Mayo. And very soon some court is going to decide that sharing God's word is 'hate speech'.

TR was a wounded spirit with plenty of faults, but he was a man for the times. We could use someone now with his vision of greatness and a willingness to use his power to do good. And it was a good thing to have the govt. insure 'patent medicines' and meat are clean and safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

TRs biggest fault was that he had never worked in the private sector. Fairly typical of politicians that think that government is the answerto everything . At least he wasn't a full blown sociopathic Statist of the Hegelian-Marxist school. (Like the Democrats, as well as most of the Ninth Circut)

Last edited by Ken61; 09/19/14 09:43 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.