April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, Jimmy W, Roundsworth, RWG, Ted Schefelbein), 266 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,037
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
You'll need have someone make a chamber cast and 'slug' the barrel. With that accomplished, you'll know your groove diameter and case length. The former is probably .510 and the latter 3" or 3 1/4". A slightly compressed charge of Pyrodex or 2F black powder with a 440 grain Barnes Original bullet will be a good starting point - if you have the equipment and skills required. Loading large British straight-wall cases can involve some 'advanced' reloading skills. If you are intent on loading them yourself, the 'bible' is Graeme Wright's book Shooting the British Double Rifle. It is a superb book.

You should consider buying loaded cartridges from Superior in Sturgis, SD. It's pricey but you aren't likely to shoot it much and it might require less of an investment than buying the equipment and components necessary to load them yourself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DOUG K

Harry, thanks for the Bill Fleming book reference. I would love to own the Bill Fleming book but the $499.00+/- Amazon price will be something I have to save for. I do have a favorite book monger who sells his wares at the local gun shows who may have a copy.

Hello Doug,
I would willingly scan the pages, but since I moved from XP PRO to Windows 7 my scanner/printer/copier has refused to work. I believe AKMike1 and I bought the last two copies that the author had. He kindly autographed my copy. I understand it was a private publication which took nearly 20 years to sell, I bought my copy a couple of years ago. I have heard it reported, that the total production of the print run only went to three figures, so less than a thousand were printed, hence their current price which is 3 1/2 times what I paid for mine. It is a phenomenal book. It contained a good number of rounds I had never even hear of, and I've been shooting in England for the last 55 years. If Mike reads this perhaps he may make you a copy of the pages concerned.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
If you want the info from Fleming's book - PM me your e-mail.

DOUG K Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Harry, thanks for the offer and hello for the other side of the pond. I am retired and have to watch my purchases - the rarity of the Fleming book sounds like an investment opportunity if one can find one.

I am running (3) machines on WIN 7 and may be able to help with your printer scanner problem if you care to share the make and model number of your computer and printer/scanner. I have had similar problems in the past when I moved up to a newer operating system. HP seem to like to sell printers, however, there are usually some software/firmware upgrades that can make your printer/scanner functional again.

DOUG K Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Steve, email address sent. Doug K

DOUG K Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Mike, I have ordered the referenced issue and have taken out a subscription. It looks like an excellent publication. Regards, Doug K

Sidelock
Sidelock

Believe, Doug, that you may find that the Lancaster BP double 500 is an "oval bore," and does not/not have rifling. Lancaster used the oval bore (rather than round with lands and grooves) to impart a spin to the bullet and, if I recall, only abandoned the technology in the early 1920s due to the high velocity of bullets not stabilizing adequately.

Don't be put off if you see no rifling as the oval bore works very well indeed for rifles of the vintage of your own.

Regards, Tim

DOUG K Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Tim for the heads up on the bore! I don't have the rifle in hand yet but will take delivery within the month. I am presently doing research on the rifle and ammunition and plan on reloading same. Charles Lancaster was a prolific inventor, as I read, and held the patent for the "oval bore". Lancaster apparently designed military weapons and cannons. The oval bore concept was used on cannon and depending on the source had issues with the cannons exploding. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Lancaster

Last edited by DOUG K; 09/21/14 09:47 AM.
DOUG K Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Steve, thanks for the reply. The chamber casting seems straight forward and the materials readily available, however, as to "slugging the barrel" I will need to some more research. The fact that the rifle has an "oval bore" rather than traditional rifling may be problematic.

Thanks for your reference to the Graeme Wright book and have it on my wish list.

As to reloading, I have the equipment to reload and presently reload numerous rifle, pistol and shotgun rounds. RCBS makes the dies for the caliber - pricy - but available.

As to straight wall cases that will require some research. The paper wrapped bullets is another issue if indeed the .500 uses them. I will no doubt acquire some loaded rounds to acquire some cases and for initial shooting.

DOUG K Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

One quick question: Vol. 1 of Nigel Brown's "British Gunmakers - London" lists the following person as the holder of the Charles Lancaster record books. Does anyone know of this person or who may, in fact, have said record books?

David Perkins of Charles Lancaster & Co., LTD; The Firs, Bishopwood, Somerset TA20 3RU, Tel/Fax 01460 234254

Note: apparently the phone has been disconnected or is not current.

Please feel free to message me privately.

Thanks in advance.

Doug K

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.