March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am in Mesa AZ. The Eurasian doves have totally taken over the area. They are so abundant it borders on insanity. We can shoot them all year with no limits, so I go out nearly once a week all year round and shoot about 30 in 3 hours or less. Keeps my Doubleguns busy. Just curious if you all have Eurasion Doves in your areas?

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately we don't have that many. Here they are more like pigeons and stay close to town. We shoot a lot of them near peanut mills.

Adam

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

we have some but not that many. Shooting that many in 3 hours sounds like a ton of fun. Do you shoot them over waterholes, food crops or using another method?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well for most close to me it is State Trust Land between 2 dairies. I have permission to shoot on the dairy so post up and
catch them moving between food and roost.

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

We are full of them in Texas but for the most part they're town birds and seldom venture into surrounding fields.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Plenty of 'em in Georgia. They're good to eat and make a nice bonus to a mourning dove shoot.

I made the mistake of mentioning once on here that although though they seem much larger than a mourning dove they're about the same size once breasted. The Texas boys all insisted one of their Eurasian doves would feed an entire extended family of starving relatives! Figures...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a few nesting pairs in my neighborhood here in North Central Kansas. I haven't noticed them affecting the native morning doves numbers yet but they are listed as nuisance birds and can be shot without regard to limits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seeing more of them each year on our sunflower field. Several were taken yesterday on our season opener shoot. Seem to be a little tougher to bring down than the mourning doves, which would seem reasonable since they are half again as big. Well, maybe not half again as big, but noticeably bigger when I have cleaned them.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They are probably the most beautiful flyer I know of. Capable of incredible aerobatics. Mate for life.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wannagohunting
I am in Mesa AZ. The Eurasian doves have totally taken over the area. They are so abundant it borders on insanity. We can shoot them all year with no limits, so I go out nearly once a week all year round and shoot about 30 in 3 hours or less. Keeps my Doubleguns busy. Just curious if you all have Eurasion Doves in your areas?

We have them in Southern Utah and they are about the same size as our white wing dove, larger than any mourning dove and better flyers.

We can shoot them year round with no limits and we do just that by the hundreds........they are identified by a collar around their neck and the lighter overall color......

Our infestation is about the same as Arizona's.

In the vicinity of Dairies and stock yards are particularly good here AM and PM, and also grain fields everywhere.

The collared dove was introduced into the Bahamas in the 1970s and spread from there to Florida by 1982. It has become invasive; the stronghold in North America is still the Gulf Coast, but it is now found as far south as Puerto Escondido and Tehuantepec in Oaxaca, as far west as California, and as far north as Alaska, Alberta, the Great Lakes, and Nova Scotia. Their relatively early presence in the Cancún area may suggest they arrived there overwater. Some of the more distantly dispersed records may refer to local escapes from captivity. It's impact on other species there is as yet unknown; it appears to occupy an ecological niche between that of the mourning dove and the rock pigeon (also an invasive species in North America).

In Arkansas (United States), the species was recorded first in 1989 and since then has grown in numbers and is now present in 42 of 75 counties in the state. It spread from the southeast corner of the state in 1997 to the northwest corner in 5 years, covering a distance of about 500 km (310 mi) at a rate of 100 km (62 mi) per year. This is more than double the rate of 45 km (28 mi) per year observed in Europe.

Doug

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.