May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (coosa, battle, canvasback, 1 invisible), 339 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,771
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Remember Iver-Johnson as well was a bycicle manufacturer - Chocopee Falls, Ma.

Iver Johnson handguns from the 20s are marked "Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works".
Has anyone ever actually owned a cycle by this company? I've personally never seen one.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Before I got into old guns I spent a fair bit of time in Chicopee as I did business with A.G Spalding, but mostly with their golf division Top Flite.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

A.G. Spalding & Bros. 1895 Advert

Ah, I got my ps & qs mixed and I was actually thinking of D.S. Spaulding when I posted A.G. Spalding & Bros.

D.S. Spaulding, Cadena 23, Apartado 274, Mexico, D.F. - 1909(operation was in fully swing by Oktober 1888)
Cadena Street Nr. 23, P.O. Box 274 - Mexico City

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up in a bicycle store.
Spoked my first wheels at 9.

I had the pleasure of destroying hundreds, perhaps thousands of bicycles. My father would buy entire warehouses of bicycles and parts to feed our rebuilding operations. Frames accumulate in warehouses. Ashtabula cranks were particularly sought after.

I worked on hundreds of bicycle wheels with wooden rims.

I stripped and repainted simple cruisers in batches of 10.

I never saw a bicycle frame tube made of any form of laminate.
Seamless steel, weld seamed steel, but never any form of twist, or croile'.
I have measured butted tubes (tubes stretched thin in their middles, but left thick where bending stresses accumulate) but never a tube looking anything like a shotgun barrel.

Have any of you ever seen an antique bicycle with laminate tubes?

I still remember the printing on the spoke boxes (double butted) in their 4 languages.
Spokes and Nipples
Eger Og Nippler
Spiechen und nipple
rayons et ecrous

I've had my Park truing stand for almost 45 years. One of my warehouses is a cycling time capsule of the 70's. Hell, I can remember rebuilding Sturmey-Archer and Shimano 3 speeds, and Sachs and New Departure 2 speeds. Chains were pretty well standardized by 1965.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,
Bicycles were made by several U.K. gun makers,including Greener under the name of F. Greener and Co; F. Williams trading under the name, American Gun and Cycle works, and of course B.S.A.
As I see it,the gun trade in Birmingham had the technical, mechanical and manufacturing skills required to manufacture key components of the Bicycle. The enormous demand for bicycles in the Victorian /Edwardian era presented gun makers with a golden opportunity to diversify and expand their business. In many cases these enterprises were short lived..
B.S.A was the exception expanding to make, not only bicycles but splendid motor cycles and also a not very practical three wheel sports car.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simson Suhl was B.S.A.'s mirror in Germany:

http://www.mz-und-simson.de/simson/history.htm

Simson - Fahrradfabrik

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I only buy and ride Schwinns. Got two of them pre-1970. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a nice Schwinn Tandem, Blue, all original. My wife likes to ride it with me. And an Orange Crate around somewhere.
And a Collegiate, Varsity, and Super Sport 10 speeds. I don't know why I hoard all that stuff.
Two of my kids can't even ride a bike! How bourgeois!

But has anyone ever seen laminate tubes on a bicycle?

I expect the explosive growth of cycling played a role in gun manufacturers efforts. Until Henry Ford got going anyway.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm going to back us up a bit. As virtually everyone on this forum knows the Iver Johnson Co. marked their Revolvers "Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works". I've handled dozens of inexpensive revolvers marked this way.
Has anyone ever seen a bicycle marked Iver Johnson? If so can you post a picture?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.