May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Ian Forrester, Philbert, Jtplumb, Fudd, MattH, 1 invisible), 257 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,493
Posts545,327
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I shoot about every weekend with a group of guys who shoot vintage doubles. One guy shoots an auto and sometimes another shoots an over and under.
I shoot my side by sides about 50% of the time and my P gun the rest.
Always interesting to see what shows up, Purdeys, Bosses, a Woodward or another top maker.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

From my view of MN

King- black auto loader
Queen pump
Prince - O/U

Peasant- Sxs

I am firmly in the peasant camp but I love shooting them. I always encourage the pullers at my local club to shoot one of my guns at a few targets and most have never shot a Sxs. We also have a group that shoots regularly with various Sxs's

I do think that the interest is growing and the availability of good Sxs guns through big stores like cabelas and the likes of gun broker has helped

Be happy- shoot birds and clays with whatever gets you fired up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

where I am in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC I still see plenty of sxs's. It's probably just my club, the BCC IWLA we have several members who are regulars here.
All I really shoot is doubles, I have a Citori and an 1187 but they are dusty.

Sidelock
Sidelock

May I offer a different perspective from a bit further south?

For all practical intents and purposes, pumps and self-loaders are not available to the average recreational hunter here; the U/O rules, but there is a small but active vintagers club, quite a few clubs have "novelty" sxs events, and a few damascus doubles are taken after ducks due to a small exemption for lead shot though damascus barrels. Quite a few quail shooters keep fine British game guns as their go-to quail guns, and there is a legacy due to quirks of colonial ties and economic heydays that means a good number of very fine vintage British guns remain here (although in recent decades, many where extracted cheaply from their owners by a couple of prominent dealers and sent to the US for a tidy profit).

For all that though, the sxs is not in common use, and pretty rarely seen.

Last edited by cadet; 06/25/14 08:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Out side of a little SxS "Cult" I hunt and shoot with very rare.

Self-Loaders are most seen, followed about 50/50 between O/U's and Pumps.

I own and shoot a wide variety of Vintage Guns of all the above types, including Single Shots.

For me Hunting in a Traditional Sport, so I hunt and shoot Traditional Shotguns.

I enjoy shooting 100 year Old Pumps and Autos also.

Last edited by postoak; 06/25/14 08:27 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
I'll echo what JohnfromUK says. It seems to me that a whole new generation is emerging in England that have only ever used single trigger over/unders. Side by sides seems to sell less and less than even a few years ago. It definitely is a buyer's market for SxS's at the moment. I call in one fairly large gunshop from time to time and all they have are rows of Berettas and Brownings. If they take side by side in on trade they can't seem to want to part with it fast enough; I guess it spoils the line up. So, by having a look in I have picked up some real bargains there. Lagopus.....

Thats pretty much my experience too lagopus, one dealer i was talking to says anything double trigger is virtually unsellable, excepting to farmers looking for a cheap fox basher. Personally i shoot what i like, thats happens to be sxs's, all the better that the fashion dictates that you have to shoot a black plastic stocked magazine fed eyesore. It means there are good deals to be had on sxs's, for those that like them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Ontario:

1. Semi-auto, camo, usually Beretta, some Turkish Weatherbys
2. Pump action, 870 Express, Mossberg, Benelli, camo or black
3. O/U, usually Citori
4. Pump action with wood furniture, typically an 870
5. .410 single shot (this is specific to the vast north part of the Province, where the ruffies prefer to walk away rather than fly.
6. SxS. I can count on one hand those I know who shoot them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a relocated Cheeshead and one of the few local conservatves but am starting to morph into the long vowels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well a few years ago I became a Cult Member. I had about 15 shotguns of various types 2 of which were Fox B SXS's. Sold "ALL" of them and bought vintage SXS's and have only one non SXS
a Franchi 28ga 48 AL. So I basically shoot only SXS's.
In 15 years of Dove/Quail hunting in AZ I do not recall running into anyone else shooting a SXS. A young fellow in a dove field walked past me and looked at my gun and said "Wow! is that a side by side? Can I see it?" Like he never saw one before.

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ninepointer
In Ontario:

1. Semi-auto, camo, usually Beretta, some Turkish Weatherbys
2. Pump action, 870 Express, Mossberg, Benelli, camo or black
3. O/U, usually Citori
4. Pump action with wood furniture, typically an 870
5. .410 single shot (this is specific to the vast north part of the Province, where the ruffies prefer to walk away rather than fly.
6. SxS. I can count on one hand those I know who shoot them.

I'd agree.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.