March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

craig: one of my favorite sayings is:

"my mind is made up.
don't confuse me with the facts."

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
jrb: you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are we all.

You asked for our "thoughtful and gentlemanly responses" so I gave you mine. Now you're miffed. crazy

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jrb: not miffed at all. glad you decided to participate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, I know you realize the people giving you negative reviews of your "case color" jobs are people with knowledge of what proper case colors look like and people who actually are buying guns. I know you sell guns but wouldn't you rather not appeal to the bottom feeders and sell to those who actually know their guns? You've sold some guns after "restoring" them that would have been more profitable just left alone. I know you are not a dummy and think you are just stubborn and refuse to admit you have made some errors in judgement. You don't have to make any amends but please stop wasting time and money messin" with guns that don't need it.It is not shameful to realize a mistake and to start doing right.I know your idol,Abe Lincoln, would have done the right thing if given another chance.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

rhd: I respect the opinion of most here regarding this subject. I particularly respect those here who back up their opinion with facts. however, my attitude about what is proper is determined by the marketplace and not by members of this forum.. try looking at it this way, from a business perspective:

if a product can be sold for a reasonable profit as is, then its a no brainer. sell it and move on to the next job.

if money has to be spent to enhance an item to make it sellable, then the least expense enhancement is the right choice, so long as it meets sales objectives.

my knowledge of the cost of recoloring shotgun receivers is somewhat dated, as I have not paid for any of that work since 2007. back then, the cost of low heat vs high heat recoloring was about half as much. plus, the risks of receiver damage via the high heat method were substantial and quite frankly, not worth the risk. back then, I found that guns with high heat recolored receivers were actually a hard sell, due to the concerns of knowledgeable customers about the reliability of the receiver metal, if incorrectly re heat treated. ie: they were afraid the receiver would crack, so they were not willing to risk their money or safety on a gun of unknown quality.

so, logic back then. as now says this:

dont put more into it than you can get out of it and still meet your profit objective.

dont do anything to it to retard its saleability.

my attitude now is that, with rare exception, it does not make economic sense to put money into a gun for receiver case coloring... some like it, some dont, some like it, but dont like the way it was done or how it looks...to many variables. not worth the cost vs benefit risks.

fact is, its this lousy economy that is driving my business decisions. makes it almost not worth it anymore.

and as for Lincoln, the history books tell us he did it right...however, the facts tell me otherwise?

Last edited by ed good; 06/18/14 10:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First rule of conservators and (good) restorers: Do no harm.

Has nothing to do with profit margins, but has more to do with respect for the object and for its future owners.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, I've watched this site for quite a while now ...seen lots of good and bad stuff ,participated in some... but I have to ask the question ...well actually a couple .
What the hell is the exact point you are trying to make? Why do you feel the need to try and justify your low end fix er up solutions for a worn finish ,the bottom line is that you do it the "wrong way " it looks shitty,but you obviously sell a few guns by it and so be it ...I'm a gunsmith I've seen guns burnt to crap in house fires and you can clean them up,re stock and re sell and they work fine ,it's steel ,they're shotguns (low pressure ) the whole cracked receiver safety crap is just that . Point final.

But what is this inherent need with you to stir up shit ? you have no old time friend smith ,it's you and we all know it ...so why ?

The bone and charcoal looks the best,it was offered by all the old time makers as a restoration (check the Parker Story for instance ) so it's not wrong ,so shag off!!!

Hard fitting is a fact of the process,whether it be the first time or tenth time ,I asked the same question a year or so ago if someone has evidence of either method cracking or destroying a receiver and show proof ...none did ,and again ,shag off!!!

You seem to have a need to be a a shit disturber ,you make yourself seem like a rational fella ,poising supposedly legitimate questions about the process..the bottom line is you don't fool anyone here ,you don't have an "old Ed " the gunsmith who restores guns for you ,you temper color receivers to mimic proper coloring, because its quick and easy and you make a buck from it ,so just let it rest please ,I personally don't believe you do any real irreversible harm but it don't look "right " so just stop the tirade ,be content to sell your faux colored guns and give this crap up ,you're making yourself look like a proper tool!

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

replacement: agreed,

and with respect to this subject, a conservator would do no refinishing of a gun of any kind. it would be left exactly as found. perhaps a light cleaning, but nothing more.

and a restorer is by definition, not a conservator.

and from my perspective profit margin is very important.

and as for respect for the object and its future owners, that is too subjective to make a judgement. except, let the market place determine what is to be respected and at what value.

I also deal in antique firearms. my guide lines regarding preservation of antiques are entirely different than for modern firearms...but for the same reason: maximum sale price in the shortest time frame.

in all situations. that is what my consignment customers expect from me. and if I don't perform, guess what, no more consignments.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
....my attitude now is that, with rare exception, it does not make economic sense to put money into a gun for receiver case coloring... some like it, some dont, some like it, but dont like the way it was done or how it looks...to many variables. not worth the cost vs benefit risks....

Hmmm, so what's with the torch, and assumptions.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

craig: torch? what torch?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.