April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (smlekid, SKB, R. Glenz, 1 invisible), 808 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#368130 06/03/14 12:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Could anybody here give me any information of that french shotgun maker ? My client has very nice side-by-side sidelock shotgun from named maker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anything on G. Callens' address? Perhaps a city in France? If Callens is not located in St. Etienne, or possibly Paris, chances are that's the name of the shop that sold the gun, not the maker. And the gun could very well be Belgian rather than French. Good photos showing proofmarks would be very helpful.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is text "Paris-Roubaix" and barrels have both Belgian and French proofmarks (St. Etienne). Of course G.Callens could be seller too but his name is not engaved on the barrel, only in watertable

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry is probably right, I have a nicely made 16ga boxlock that is marked Ets Lien Chapu Callens on the right barrel; Paris-Roubiax-Lalle on the left one. It has Belgian proofs with a lower case d as proof date. It has a manufactures mark on the standing breech, I have some photos on my computer I will dig up if there is interest.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
I have some photos on my computer I will dig up if there is interest.
Please, do so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some photos of my Callens?? I thought there were some of the proof marks and trademark on the standing breech, but I guess not. I will try to get a good photo of the trademark, it is kind of faint

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try to get a good photo of the barrel flats and all the proofmarks. That will be most helpful in helping you sort out your gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have good recource of books according to proof marks. As I said there is both belgian and french proof marks. Then there is one sign like eagles head which I don´t identify and initials (maybe barrel makers) "JT". Text "Choke" and "17,4" and "18,4". Barrels have honed and re-blued but you could hardly see text "Acier xxxxx" which should tell steel of barrels.

This shotgun has engaved very sparely; only narrow "band" round the lock plate and some on screws head.

According yours comments and proof marks it seems that shotgun has been made and proofed in Belgium and then imported and re-proofed in France. Seller was G. Callens.

I find from internet one auction cataloque where has sold very similar shotgun. Seller has descibed shotgun as follows:

"fusiL De chasse à platines stéphanois G. Callens. 2 coups, calibre 12/65, éjecteurs. 2 paires de canons juxtaposés de 80 cm. Chokes : droits : full et 1/4 ; gauche : full et 1/2. bascule et platines gravées de bouquets et rinceaux feuillagés. Double détentes dont une articulée. Crosse en noyer de 36,5 cm avec rallonge de 1,5 cm, en partie quadrillé. 5e catégorie. Dans une valise en bois recouverte de cuir, garnie à l'intérieur de feutre bordeaux. Étiquette dans le couvercle "Maison Lien et Chapu Callens Sr Paris"."

There is one foto of gun and it seems to be very similar but with two barrels:

Last edited by Igorrock; 06/04/14 09:16 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eagle Heads sounds like Cap or Falla.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

When Shooting Sportsman Magazine first started up in the '80's, there was an article in one of those early issues titled "As good as a Purdey?". It was about a really nice sidelock Callens with several photos. You might contact Ed Carroll with SSM for a reprint.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.