May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (tanky, earlyriser, liverwort, Researcher, Roundsworth), 562 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,636
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the updates. I would have originally guessed the different images might have shown more welding flaws and inclusions, but they really do look good in your samples. Though they could detect a difference between the iron and steel, once welded and twisted, it does seem like the working barrel behaves like a monosteel.

Looking forward to any tensile strength comments you're able to share.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A 500X of the inclusions; silica, carbon, junk

Burrard was a master, but the second edition was written in 1948, before compression formed hulls, polyethylene wads, the widespread use of reloaded shells, the industrial application of piezoelectric sensors for pressure testing, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), composition analysis by X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS or ESCA), Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDX or EDS), Ultrafast laser spectroscopy, and likely lots of other stuff I don't understand.
He did mention the industrial use of MPI and radiography dating to the 30s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly. But it does make his statement that a ring bulge always indicates an obstruction all that much more remarkable.

That sweeping conclusion, circa 1930's, has yet to be proven wrong.

Microphotograph, scan, dissect, analyze as you wish.... we first saw pretty well defined evidence of a bulge just in front of where this barrel failed. We 'speculated' it was an obstruction based on Sir Maj. GRB's ancient teachings.

Drew, at his own expense and as a service to us who wish to use old guns in a safe manner, has confirmed that the old master was indeed correct.

This is a significant contribution to the art and science and history of the shotgun. Bravo again.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,

Thanks again for the additional information! I'm quite surprised at the low carbon content. But as a buddy of mine often says; "One test result is worth a thousand "expert" opinions."

The linear structures are typical of the silica strings that are found in wrought iron. Globs of silica in the iron as it comes out of the furnace, are drawn out into strands when the material is forged and/or rolled into bars.

I'm still a bit perplexed by the inclusions in the "steel". I expected the steel to be a cleaner material. Going to have to think about that a while………

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve: As we discussed yesterday, I'll be sending you and our mutual friend in Nevada the full Failure Analysis, the unused barrel segments, and what is left of the barrels used for tensile strength testing. We should have about 10 3 and 4 iron crolle Damascus pieces to play with, and the only limit to the investigative possibilities is our curiosity and rapidly being depleted bank accounts smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, the larger pieces of junk in your 500x photomicrographs looked similar to some photomicrographs of steel mill scale I was looking at. Mill scale could certainly be a likely candidate because it is by far the most common impurity that is found in a steel mill. Another slice just a few thousandths away might well have been much cleaner and more homogenous. Scale itself has many and varying components, dependant on the alloys in the steel. Hence, the varying appearance under magnification. Ferrous oxide, various other iron oxides, magnetite and hematite are prevalent. I examined a very thick piece of scale last night, about 3/16" thick. Surprisingly, it was very different, from the inner surface that contacted the steel, to the outer surface that was in contact with the reheat furnace atmosphere. So just the orientation within a steel sample could possibly make it look like different animals. The inner part was dull and much more granular while the outer part looked smooth and shiny, almost like blue-black glass. The outer skin had a noticeably stronger attraction to a small magnet too.

I'm sure some would look at those photos as proof that Damascus is full of flaws and weaknesses, but rolled-in mill scale is probably just as likely to be found in early fluid steel barrels.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm thinking that's a 'typical' sample that the lab ran into on this barrel. At 500x, I'd think those inclusions have been effectively managed. Since it came from the barrel, that sample has been drawn down to a tiny percentage of the raw starting material.

New inclusions might be introduced, but that picture does not appear to be at the surface or near a weld. Chances are those inclusions were larger, but may have been reduced and dispersed by the extensive forging.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a 50X of the inclusions Craig and Keith

I do not believe Adam has found any voids, contrary to Damascus mythology smirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,

Do you need a set of lower grade Belgian twist barrels? I happen to have one, I was going to use it to test refinishing processes. It's one of those that are stamped "Laminated Steel" but I think it's really twist. Would you like all or part of it?
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/18/14 07:38 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Ken, and PM sent.

Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.