May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Drew Hause, Marks_21, Bret Adams, Ian Forrester, SKB, 1 invisible), 387 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,424
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

No need to mince words, Stan. After all, you told us that you started out with Daddy buying your shells for you. How come you weren't carrying newspapers or cutting grass to buy them YOURSELF? Kinda gave you a leg up learning the game, didn't it?

Rather a difficult situation for a farm boy to have a newspaper route or mow lawns when he had FARM work to do for his Dad.

And typically not paid for doing chores. That being said, when I grew up as a city kid in Iowa (50's, early 60's), it was fairly common for farm kids to earn spending money by running a trap line. Fur prices generally pretty good back then. And hunting was certainly cheap: walk out the door. Getting to a shooting range for practice might not have been convenient, although a hand trap and a box of clays behind the barn would have been possible and relatively inexpensive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe the shells Stan's Dad gave him were a thank you for some of the farm work he did........think about it.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have guided duck and goose hunters for many years and most have no idea if they have actually hit the bird that drops but say they do. Almost all have pumps and semi's and fire all 3 shots at every flight. 3 birds come in 5 hunters unload and one will actually swear 'he' shot them all. I budget 3 boxes of shells for a limit of 8 birds per hunter. That's 10% success 'if' a limit is actually taken.

On the other hand, watching them makes me a much more patient shooter and my success rate is closer to 35 - 40%. But I do use an over and under and often wonder if my success would improve with a single shot.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many people who are given an opportunity don't appreciate it, and waste their opportunity. I just had a thing about waste, and missing. I miss like everybody, but I have worked hard all my life to be a better shot. I began competitive shooting at Boy Scout camp at about age 11. Moved through all types of competitive shooting all my life. Sporting clays is the most humbling of them all. If that comment about my being given shells was meant to be a cut, it was lost. The fact that I had an advantage by being given some shells does not change what I said. Desire to do better is not hindered by lack of supplies. Those who want to get better do so, one way or another. Those who don't have the fire in their belly, don't do what it takes. Period.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No need to mince words, Stan. After all, you told us that you started out with Daddy buying your shells for you. How come you weren't carrying newspapers or cutting grass to buy them YOURSELF? Kinda gave you a leg up learning the game, didn't it?

How come a decent thread like this one always has to turn into a pissing match?? Geesh Larry lighten up!

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Today I shot 36 Eurasian doves with 60 shells with my LC Smith 20ga. I think pretty good for dove shooting.

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

When a bird flushes and I don't have time to think, I just mount, swing and shoot, I shoot about twice as good as when my buddy tells me "the dogs on point, get over here, get ready", I stand and wait, anticipate, set my feet, plan the shot, swing, shoot and usually miss.

I guess I just shoot better when I don't think about it...golf was like that many years ago.

I gave up golf.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tunes

How come a decent thread like this one always has to turn into a pissing match?? Geesh Larry lighten up!

Talk to Stan, tunes. Seems a bit ironic, don't you think, that he talks about a "lack of supplies" not stopping anyone . . . yet he was GIVEN his supplies? Sorry, but I won't mince words either: Yes indeed, "minor" factors like the economy--among other things--do stand in the way of people becoming proficient at ANY activity that requires a fairly significant expenditure of funds. And learning to shoot well requires such an expenditure. Let's see . . . work my butt off to support my family. Left over time and money . . . spend time and some of that extra money with the wife and kids, or spend time and some of that extra money on guns, shooting lessons, shells, targets, gas to get me to the range, etc? The places I shoot, most of the people who shoot a lot are older. Kids, if any, away from home and no longer in college. Speaking of which, I put myself through college, came out with zero debt. That was then; this is now. Without a lot of scholarship support, what was fairly common when I was in college in the 60's is now close to impossible. Which means younger folks are saddled with college debt on top of everything else. Desire alone doesn't get it done--and it's way more expensive these days than it used to be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems a bit ironic, don't you think, that he talks about "a lack of supplies" not stopping anyone...yet he was GIVEN his supplies??

Originally Posted By: Stan
The ones who complain, "I can't afford the practice" don't have the determination to see it through anyway. History is replete with those, who had not the means, but who caddied, cut grass, bartered work for shooting, whatever it took to get to do what they loved, and who excelled. There is an unwillingness to give up in some people that transcends any and all material shortcomings. It's one of those things that, if it has to be explained to you, you wouldn't understand it anyway.

I will not mince words on this. Have your final say, Larry.

SRH

Originally Posted By: tunes
How come a decent thread like this one always has to turn into a pissing match?? Geesh Larry lighten up !

Tunes,

Because L. Brown is a Motor Mouth Mental Midget of the first order and does not know when to SHUT UP......... He is full of SELF WORTH and cannot see the forest for the trees...

It is sad that Stan and others have to put up with this fool.... Most on this board pay zero attention to this motor mouths ramblings.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, Stan, as a land owner and man who farmed for 34 years it gives me great delight to see guys with his attitude who want to hunt on my land go out my driveway with their tails between their legs. As a kid I busted my butt in Dad's rock fields for very little pay as I'm sure Stan did. At the end of the day I didn't feel like mowing lawns or delivering newspapers.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.