April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, PALUNC, mel5141, Karl Graebner, 2 invisible), 391 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Straights at skeet would be pretty rare if they involved many single pellet breaks, since we know that it's not at all unusual for a single pellet hit to result in a miss."

They are rare, if we are talking about ISSF (Olympic) Skeet that starts with gun down, an unpredictable launch due to delay from 0 to 3 seconds, and initial target speed of 120 kmh, and a max load of 24 grams of No 9 European shot.

Dr Jones is an Englishman and most likely this is the Skeet he knows. There is no American type skeet outside the USA and Canada.

As for the statistical analysis of 2500 patterns, they covered a LOT more than single pellet hits on clays. He is the thrid successive serious researcher ( a professional research scientist by profession) who strongly indicates the Gaussian nature of patterns regardless of degree of choke. This is his most important contribution and if it was understood it would solve many of the non problems occupying shooters' time. To put it another way, it would be better to shoot more and agonize less.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If time permits, play around with this program on Dr. Jones' website. It shows how random patterns can be, but it also is an excellent tool for figuring what pattern performance you need to optimize your chances at various size targets.

Pattern Optimizer

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All I know is that I had a 12 ga 311 Stevens back 30 years ago, that was cut down to 24", and I soldered in .008" shim stock and ground a taper in the left barrel. I swear I killed more pheasants with the rt cyl choke barrel, even one that I thought I was 2 ft behind, as it went behind a cedar tree. Paid $25 for it, with a cracked stock. Left barrel patterned mod choke. Deadly, but ugly. Put a stock on from Herters--wait that was 45 years ago.

Last edited by xs hedspace; 03/25/14 12:37 PM.

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have killed more game with cylinder bored guns than with anything else over the years. That includes spur wing geese at the big end and button quail at the small. I prefer it for hunting.

cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I find it interesting that we are having a conversation about cylinder choke, and no one has thus far mentioned that few are the shtoguns that have a true .729 bore, something particularly true off the continent, were a tighter bore was favored for many years.
A 12 gauge shotgun with a .719 bore, and a .719 choke, or no choke in the end, is going to pattern differently than a shotgun with a .729 bore and no choke. Even though the average bloke would call either gun "cylinder" choked, or, more correctly, no choke.

Best,
Ted

Could you please explain why this is so?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go out and shoot a round of trap with full and then switch to cylinder.There's a difference on some of the wide birdes and maybe it's because I'm a poor shot but there's a difference. I hunt with vintage guns ,cylinder bores and pass on the far bird.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bagged my 1st gobbler of the year Saturday afternoon with an 1870s W. and C. Scott & Son 10ga with original cylinder barrels. I called him in close though...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: cpa
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I find it interesting that we are having a conversation about cylinder choke, and no one has thus far mentioned that few are the shtoguns that have a true .729 bore, something particularly true off the continent, were a tighter bore was favored for many years.
A 12 gauge shotgun with a .719 bore, and a .719 choke, or no choke in the end, is going to pattern differently than a shotgun with a .729 bore and no choke. Even though the average bloke would call either gun "cylinder" choked, or, more correctly, no choke.

Best,
Ted

Could you please explain why this is so?

Could you please explain your question? No offense, but, I touched on several points.

Best,
Ted

cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought it was pretty straightforward. Why does a cylinder .729 bore pattern differently than a cylinder .719? It is my understanding that the degree of constriction rather than the bore size (within limits) is the determining factor of choke. I would appreciate others' thoughts on this as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An English maker once made a bore that started out at 12 bore (.729) and tapered at a constant rate to a 20 bore (.619) It threw cylinder patterns. It is the constriction in the last few inches of the barrels that does the choking.

I am glad to be here.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.