March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marshgrass, Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#361356 03/19/14 11:33 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In 1939 Abercrombie & Fitch placed ads in magazines such as Field & Stream announcing the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the importation of Francotte shotguns by Von Lengerke & Detmold and then by A&F after they merged with VL&D in 1929. So 1939 was the 50th Jubilee since VL&D first imported Francotte's in 1889. The ad's title was "Francotte Jubilee" and these vintage ads are often available on sites such as Ebay. The ads pictured a Francotte Grade No.20 and described the features of that gun. Unfortunately, the name "Jubilee" has come to be generally associated with all of the numbered A&F Francotte models - Grades No. 14, 20, 25, 30, and 45 that were available at that time. I say “unfortunately” because although the numbered models had been imported since the 1910 and had nothing special to do with a “Jubilee”, A&F actually did import a Francotte “Jubilee” model about the time of the ad’s appearance.

The “Jubilee” model was first received at A&F on July 31, 1939 but did not appear in the A&F catalog until 1941. There were a total of 71 Jubilee shotguns imported by A&F, the last one being received in inventory on January 31, 1940. You know what happened after that. They were available in 12, 16, 20, 28, and 410. The Jubilee model was a sideplated boxlock with relatively plain, blued sideplates. It was priced at the same price as the Grade No. 14, that is, $250. (Not all Francottes with blued sideplates are Jubilee’s. There were Francottes made for the European market with blued sideplates and these occasionally show up for sale on the web. They usually have the sling swivels that mark them as guns for the European market.)The A&F Jubilee’s all have serial numbers in the 886xx range. The last ‘new’ Jubilee was sold by A&F in 1942. This makes the Jubilee models one of the rarer of the Francotte shotguns imported to the U.S. by VL&D/A&F. I have never seen one – in fact, I have never seen a picture of one - until now. There is a 20 gauge Francotte Jubilee coming up for sale at the Amoskeag auction on March 29th and the spec’s are quite close to the original spec’s except for the thin pad.

http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/100/20.html

Initially, it was mistakenly identified as a Grade 20 funeral model but I believe that that will be corrected. The Jubilee was sold to … ah, but that is for the buyer’s letter of provenance. If you are the lucky buyer of the Jubilee I hope that you will be in contact. At least we now know what a real Francotte Jubilee model looks like.

Bob Beach
Archivist
Griffin & Howe, Inc.

http://www.griffinhowe.com/research-main.cfm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun. Thank you for pointing it out.

I've heard the name Jubilee used to describe a lot of Francottes. It's good to see a real one.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge of Francotte Guns.Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Bob.
Been quite a while since I've logged on here; posts like yours are what make this site so special.
Cheers.

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting information. Thanks, Bob!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Don Ellison at Amoskeag was kind enough to have Beth email me some close-up photos of the Francotte. These pictures are not on their website as far as I can tell. I don't seem to be able to download them or copy them to a file but I will be happy to forward the email to anyone who would like to see them. Just send an email to me at beach "at" griffinhowe.com.

Raimey has managed to help me post the photos. Thanks.

close-up of marks rotated

Last edited by Bob Beach; 03/23/14 07:12 PM.

Bob Beach

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.