May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, 67galaxie, 2 invisible), 1,143 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,653
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, thanks for the update. Great work.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't understand a lot of what's going on here, but this is fascinating stuff. Would you consider doing an article for a publication like Double Gun Journal when the testing is finished? This seems like something worthy of permanent preservation.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is the part of the blow-out piece that was bent almost 90 degrees. Unfortunately, I didn't take a good pic of the crack; on the right at the apex of the bend

This is a 20X photomicrograph after etching with 3% nitric acid/alcohol of the crack area

As part of the failure analysis, Adam is going to label the best images. You can clearly see the crolle pattern; iron is silver-white, steel grey-black. The black dots are graphite (carbon) that are from the cast iron. This crack does appear to be between the iron and steel thin strips that define the 'leaves' within the scroll (the twisted rod). Adam explained the lines at the lower right, but I forgot frown

This is the first published photomicrograph of a pattern welded barrel!!

And yes, there better be some articles from all this to off-set the almost $1300 for the failure analysis, $125 for MPI, $125 per radiography, and $50-$70 per tensile strength test. AND more photomicrographs if, as I suspect, radiography of a Syracuse Arms barrel at TEAM right now shows a crack.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

The homogeneous, "fluid steel" barrel failed by brittle rupture. The fracture surface is more or less smooth, but has some "rivulets" in it that point back towards the initiation point, which was the screw hole, again. The fracture surface was about 3X as long as for the damascus barrels. In other words, the same 30,000 psi final internal load created a lot more fracture surface in the homogenous barrel than in the damascus barrel. This indicates that, for an equivalent-length fracture, it took less energy to open up the homogeneous barrel than for the damascus barrel.

In the case of the damascus barrels the crack spiraled around with the weld pattern, but it was not on a weld, rather it was on one of the in-between areas. The spiral welds remained tight and the parent metal is what failed. This may seem pretty amazing, but in many, many instances the actual steel welded structure is stronger than parent metal.

It would take a significantly larger sample size to convince the gun industry as a whole, but for me this is truly groundbreaking stuff. Wonderful work, Drew. I feel lucky to be able to follow this as it unfolds.
-Will

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, I seriously doubt that you will find any of that mythologic interlaminar rust or orange lace in any of your samples. There would have been no red iron oxide on the surface of the iron and steel after they were heated in the forge to welding temperatures, and there would be no surface for exposure to oxidation once the layers were welded. Any thin scale formation that was not scraped, fluxed, or knocked off by hammering would actually be more resistant to oxidation than bare metal. I have seen flakes of mill scale up to 1/8" thick exposed to water for weeks before it gets even a tinge of orange color.

Fantastic stuff here! Thanks again for sharing it with us.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Indeed Keith. Unfortunately, once myth begins, it is repeated by the 'experts' over and over

Gerald Hunter “Don’t Blow Your Head Off!” Gun Digest 1962
Composite barrel metals are brittle, to begin with. The laminations were put together without accurate control, so the walls are not uniformly strong. Each joint of forge-welded metals is a potential pocket of rust or corrosion which holds together today but which by tomorrow may be ready to bust wide open.
Damascus barrels, once thought safe with black powder, are no longer safe! They’re getting older every hour and those hidden rusty – and rusting – areas are growing larger, the barrel walls thinner, and that hundred-and-first shot may blow ‘em up.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another gun shop 'expert'. Found this on the internet, but the original source was not sited, nor the date. Anybody know this confused fella?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/3018315/replies?c=18
Damascus barrels were actually superior barrels when new than many cold rolled welded barrels and hammered steel barrels. BUT, and it is a big but, over time the discontinuities in the Damascus barrel forging technique allows for internal corrosion to form in the hammered wire forging that that forms the Damascus barrels. This corrosion between the mechanical/welded/pressure joining of the metals that are at the core of all damascene metals is unavoidable, weakening the mechanical welded heat bonding because oxygen is incorporated in the joint by its very nature. . . starting the formation of rust at the creation of the barrel. With age, all damascene barrels LOSE considerable strength.
Barrels in that period were ALL proof tested with black powders that were far less pressure producing and slower burning than modern faster burning, higher pressure producing smokeless shotgun powders. Now add the corrosive nature of black powder and the even greater corrosiveness of the fulminate of mercury primers used during the useful life of most of these damascene barrels and its effects on accelerating the corrosion between the domains of the metal in those much more porous barrels. Shooting shotguns with Damascus barrels with modern loads is NEVER advised.
I am past manager of the Olde Sacramento Armoury and I was the appraiser and buyer of used and antique firearms for Simms Hardware (Sacramento) Gun Department — which was named #1 Gun Dealer in the United States in 1971. . . and was a qualified expert in the California Courts on the identification and values of Antique firearms back in the 70s. We labeled every damascene barreled shotgun a wall hanger, a non-shooting relic and instructed all sales people to instruct buyers that they were never to try shooting them as they were considered unsafe. We had several "educational pieces" on hand with blown chambers to show them what would happen if they tried. A couple of those looked brand new. . . and were made by some of those "top names" in gun making from London and New York. They still blew.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Another gun shop 'expert'.
Barrels in that period were ALL proof tested with black powders that were far less pressure producing and slower burning than modern faster burning, higher pressure producing smokeless shotgun powders.

Boy the guys in the proof houses were not careful with their proof stamps. According to this expert they must have grabbed the nitro proof stamps by accident a lot of the time.

I couldn't resist...carry on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, don't laugh at him, not fair. He was world famous in Sacramento.

BTW, AFAIK Nitro Proof charges in UK were loaded with black powder for many years, and might still be so. Anyone know for certain?

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 03/19/14 11:28 AM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew: Several times you have mentioned "cast iron". I don't believe cast iron was ever used in Damascus barrels. I think that you mean wrought iron, which is very low in carbon content and very ductile versus cast iron which is very high in carbon content and very brittle.

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.