April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (skeettx, Marks_21, Jimmy W, AGS, 1 invisible), 673 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,272
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
pooch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess I have been a bore but I've enjoyed this little exercise and I look at things a bit differently now. I still believe guns that have gone though a proof house should logically be called gauge as in 12ga. However when a barrel has been bored out to where it is no longer in proof because of the extent of the over bore, but still is chambered for a 12ga cartridge then it would logically be called 12 bore. A gun like the Mossberg 835 which is chambered for a 12ga cartridge but has a 10ga bore so as to shoot the 3 ˝ 12ga cartridge would rightfully called a 12 bore, as would a number of other over bored guns.

Last edited by pooch; 03/04/14 02:53 AM. Reason: syntex
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys need to go shooting!
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cant believe no one made a comment about the other terminology question of gun technicana:
Whats the difference between a screwdriver and a turnscrew;?
About 80 dollars.

This is how inane some of these conversations can be.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pooch, you must be some kind of crazy person. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian
I cant believe no one made a comment about the other terminology question of gun technicana:
Whats the difference between a screwdriver and a turnscrew;?
About 80 dollars.

This is how inane some of these conversations can be.

Aaahh.......why is this important?....with all the great info we get here from guys who know what they are talking about.....we have a debate about nomenclature. Does this really matter...and more important , was this not answered in the early post. Thanks Brian and others who, no doubt , are cratching there heads on this one.....

pooch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No it doesn't matter, but something was bugging me that I could not figure. It wasn't bore at all it was something in the past. Now that I know what it was, it's put away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One more point for this discussion - I usually see bore used when the gun is from Europe, and England in particular. Whether used correctly or not, my perception is that the term is more likely to be used when the individual is a bit pretentious.

One exception is the 8ga. I see 8 bore used more frequently than 8ga. This final point is important. I don't want BM thinking I said he is pretentious.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.