April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, smlekid, 1 invisible), 558 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,085
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#359122 02/27/14 11:44 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have opinions re: using aluminum cleaning rods or heard of anyone actually damaging a bore by using them?

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

Serious rifle shooters avoid them especially those composed of several pieces. That is enough evidence for me. I don't think these would damage shotgun bore but coated one piece .22+ rods were <$10/piece so I bought couple.
I read supposed damage to barrel lands comes from aluminum oxide which forms one outside surface of the rod.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For shotgun barrels, I use a bore snake. I bet the type of cleaning rod doesn't matter much since the cleaning rod makes practically no contact with the shotgn bore, and doesn't affect shotgun performance when it does make contact.

For rifle barrels, I use a one-piece graphite rod. For rifles, keeping the lands pristine does matter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the 20ga and larger, I like the fuzzy rods with a threaded end to afix a bronze brush. I spray some Rem oil in the bore and let it work a few minutes.

On the smaller bores I use aluminum rods.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/27/14 03:23 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Aluminum?? That will never catch on, must be a
FAD! Wood is pretty smile

In reality, they should be just fine if you are not
over zealous.

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

They are esthetically shallow, so I use wood rods (sniff). However, give aluminum credit for being straight, stiff, and inexpensive. As for the bore wear, aluminum is not going to chew up a lot of steel. The greater risk is of using a dirty rod (any kind) that holds abrasive materials on its surface.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forget the rod beware the Turks head. I saw a set of Briley 20 gauge tubes destroyed with one

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually made a one piece Al rod from a four foot piece of a really hard and stiff alloy. It's threaded for a Brownell's 'double tuff' brush and has a door knob on the other end.

You gonna clean guns, or you gonna screw around?

I mean honestly.... cock around, cock around. Clean the equipment, put the stuff away, and go to the bar.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been listening to the "damage" caused by aluminum rods for the better parts of 50 years. While I have many different types of cleaning rods I have absolutely no issues with using those of aluminum. I also have NEVER detected any damage whatsoever from their use.
I'll let the detractors in on a little secret. If you clean the rods periodically with a good metal cleaner any crud on the rod comes right off. BTW: I'd also recommend you clean rods made from other materials as well for precisely the same reason.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My reason for not wanting to use Aluminium cleaning is two fold the first reason was once I stupidly decided to hold an Aluminium cleaning rod in my mouth so I would have both hands free. The resultant effect between the Aluminium and the odd Mercury Amalgam teeth filling is rather unpleasant possibly only us Brits can understand this effect. Secondly I do not like the resultant micro swarf if you rub the rod against the gun’s breach which seems to get every where.
So I personally prefer to use wooden rods of which I have a number to choose from, in the picture are some of the rods I use regularly and a couple of others that are now considered collectors items but I still use occasionally. The two sets at the bottom of the picture are the modern versions that see most use covering all the sizes up to and including .410.
The Ebony rods are pre 1900 each a two piece the top set will fit in a standard 30 to 34 inch barrel gun case in the normal fashion stowed under the barrel. But the Pear handled set will not fit a case at all though I believe that this rod was more at home in a gun room, the main reason for the short pear handled section was to take a chamber brush though I have never seen a chamber brush with a 3/8 inch 18 tpi fitting, it also came with the Turks Head brush with the longer shank in the picture seized in the end fitting. Though using them is a direct connection to the past and I always wonder about the guns they have cleaned and the people who have used them before me. In the other picture are the Boogiemen of the gun cleaning world ‘THE DREADED TURKS HEAD’ their only crime is that they are manufactured from steel rather than Bronze, but I have walked on the wild side and used them for cleaning gun bores though I must say at this point it was a 1950s Baikal shotgun that seemed to be manufactured by the same company who built our ‘Stone Henge’.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.