April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, eeb, buckstix, PALUNC, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 967 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm getting close to finishing a PH 12ga, with a #2 frame. I'm going to French Polish this one, but I have a question as to what specific shellac to use.

I've already read the FAQ on original finishes over on the PGCA board, but the only reference to a type of shellac was to the orange variety, only one of many.

Does anyone have an idea what specific shellac was used? Was
it orange, amber or blonde? Was it waxed or unwaxed? Was it button or flake? Does anyone here have any idea?

I intend to initially build the base with a two pound cut, then topcoat with a one pound finish, pretty standard french polish.

Thanks

Kenneth

Last edited by Ken61; 02/09/14 10:55 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
eeb Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Bullseye amber shellac.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, please share your experiences when the project is done. I've often considered using shellac but have been intimidated after reading instructions. Photos would be nice too.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll be sure to document the process.

eeb, thanks, I'm aware of the Bullseye/French Red filler approach, but I was hoping for a little more information as to the original Parker process...

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would recommend mixing your own from flakes. Garnet gives the deep red on dark woods. On blond wood I use button lac, it will give you the caramel color that lovers of French walnut crave. Just mix the quanity required. When fresh it is a much better product than it is in a month.

bill

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. Garnet is available as dewaxed flakes. As far as button, do you suggest Kusmi #1 (caramel) or Kusmi #2 (red/brown)?

I'm leaning towards using the dewaxed garnet (2 lb. cut) as the base/sealer for the first 75 passes, then the caramel Kusmi #1 (1 lb. cut)for the last 25 finish coats. I'll then wax the stock as the final step, probably with Nufinish wax as it's got an advanced polymer in the forumla that provides UV protection.

Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 02/09/14 12:09 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61, on the parkerguns.org website you should try a search on the forum. The late Austin Hogan posted an original recipe he used when touching up or completely refinishing an original Parker stock. Austin was highly respected among collecting circles and organizations. With a good bit of diligence I'm sure you can find it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did an LC with hand mixed wax free garnet shellac flakes w/a final coat of wipe on poly. I'd have to look at my notes, but I think I used a 1 or 2lb cut. Took me while to get process down on a practice stock, but it's a nice finish when you're done. Appropriate for a low grade gun IMHO.

This is my first picture I've ever posted..ever..hope it works! (gun is mine..couch isn't :))

Last edited by Phunter; 02/09/14 02:02 AM.
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting. After reading through all the old PGCA threads,it appears Parker used Bullseye orange shellac. eeb, you were "on the money" as amber is the only colored shellac they now sell.

Nice looking LC. I've also got a Grade 0 (2 iron damascus) that I'll be starting on soon..

My practice gun was a Henri Pieper Eclipse hammergun..

Last edited by Ken61; 02/09/14 02:25 AM.

eeb Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Ken, prep your wood as you would for any finish. If I am working on an older gun I sand very lightly, just enough to knock down any grain that may have popped. This results in a nice antiqued finish that does not look so new. Take a couple cotton balls and bind them into a piece of old tshirt. With your finger dab a few drops of BLO (some recommend olive oil), and dip the tshirt into the shellac. Rub this with the BLO into the wood in firm back and forth strokes until it dries. Repeat doing small sections at a time. If you live in a low humidity area it goes quickly, otherwise you have to watch for tacky finishes and allow them to dry before proceeding. This method is detailed further on the PGCA website. It's not difficult and the results are pleasing, and while it's certainly not a London oil finish, it looks right on the older American doubles.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.