April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fudd, Jimmy W, coosa, Longknife, Roundsworth, susjwp), 1,037 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I posted this question about a double drop of powder on Shotgun World in the Reloading Forum and this is the responses I received so far and I'm sure there will be more.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=392816&p=3123334#p3123334

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if the slightly backed out primer indicates anything. Maybe pressure, over or not, rose quickly enough for the hull to hold on to the chamber wall without setting back against the face of the action. Maybe, since the primer doesn't appear near as distorted as the case head sounds, the pressure may have been falling when the headspace changed enough to let the primer back out.

I wonder if the shooter ever noticed proud primers on empties before. Does the other barrel show signs that some dimension change might be going on ahead of the chamber. Concentric rings showing, I wonder what might have been cleaned up that few inches into the barrel. Just interesting is all, thanks again Doc Drew.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you David. I'll watch that thread.

Craig: I'll be checking the other empties today.

Off to volunteer at Under One Woof, a satellite Maricopa Co. Animal Control adoption shelter, then will start measuring all the edges.
MCAC is the second busiest animal control in the country; LA Co. is first. The kill rate is about 40% and some days 150 animals go through intake. When the economy crashed, 'migrant' families left in the middle of the night leaving their dogs INSIDE apts. and rental houses, or just turned them out. Some neighborhoods are running with Chihuahuas and Pit mixes (which BTW are the sweetest dogs in the shelter).
Just yesterday a guy was arrested for neglect of his horses
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_cen...aguila-property
Sherriff Joe has a very active and aggressive animal abuse unit and rehab facility. Dog and cock fighting remains a terrible problem out here.
http://www.mcso.org/Mash/AnimalCruelty.aspx
Sorry for the OT rant but child and animal abuse REALLY gets me going. Some live-in on meth beats his girlfriend's child to death at least once a month out here.

Anyway - talked again to the shooter, and his recollection is that all the previous rounds, and specifically the previous high 7 incomer shot with the left barrel, felt and sounded normal. He thinks the gun remained locked up after the blow out but will check with his squad mates as to who first picked up the gun.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 02/06/14 11:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is Drew's first picture

I doubt there is a bulge in those barrels.

I interpret what I see as the tear started back by the powder charge and peeled forward toward the muzzle. The expansion evident toward the muzzled end of the tear is from the metal being bent back as the piece went forward. In Drew's picture that I posted above I do not see a bulge on the bottom of the barrel compared to the watertable.

The imprint of the extractor on the steel base, the lack of a bulge (in my opinion), and the primer sitting high indicate overpressure.

I have had some erratic results from my 9000 when some trash got caught up in the drop tube. The trash was most likely in an empty cartridge fired on a hunt and then dropped into my gamebag with the dead bird, the muddy dog boot that came off, and the miscellaneous twigs and leaves that fell in as I pushed through the brush.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/06/14 11:50 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hard to assess what happened looking at small two dimensional images. The originals are 2MB and I'd be happy to send anyone the image if you would e-mail be at revdoc2@cox.net

This image looks a lot more like a bulge, starting at the lighter colored 1/2" forcing cone. Most of the lower barrel was blown away so we can't know if the bulge was annular

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know what Mike is looking at and tend to agree. However, both are probably right since the metal would have bulged before reaching its elastic limits and then bursting.

Trash in a hull: any hull that has been in a game vest or on the ground gets a thorough vacumning and inspection before reloading--always! Even clean, once fired hulls get a cursory examination at a minimum. I do not reload with any distractions--no tv and no people in the room. When there is any jam on my 9000 I remove all hulls, reset the charge bar, and begin fresh.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 02/06/14 12:32 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
It sure looks like a bulge to me, has from the beginning. Realize also an obstruction this close the the chamber is going to react a bit different than one down at mid barrel. Velocity of the charge is not very high yet so the "Check" is not near so great. While pressure would likely still be greatest at the point of the obstruction, it is also likely that pressure would have increased in the entire chamber up until relieved by the burst. I think you need to try & figure out just what was in that barrel & Why & How it got there. I do not believe that either the gun, nor the load being used, was responsible for this burst.

+1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at the deformation of the solder line of top rib in this photo it sure looks like a bulge starting just ahead of the rib extension.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bulge or distortion from bending, hinging outward, possibly the failure started at the breech end where there seems to have been less ductility. I wonder if the failure started ahead of the chamber why the breech doesn't seem to have peeled back a bit as it tried to hang on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried loading a double charge of my standard skeet round on my MEC 9000 and it proved impossible. Here's the data:

Federal Game hull
17.5 grains Clays (35 grains in this example)
Downrange Federal SO clone
7/8 oz shot

Though the wad ram showed about 50 lbs pressure the wad did not collapse. You can see the wad and shot come up to the lip of the hull. Pre crimping was impossible. Had it been an ounce shot would have spilled everywhere.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.