March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (FlyChamps, cpa, Dan S. W., canvasback, 3 invisible), 803 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Clearly not a screw grip, but an extend rib third bite also very commonly produced by Webley as seen in the comparison photo of a Webley similar to the shotgun in question that I provided on a previous page of this thread. Third bites (without a screw grip) and slight variations thereof are illustrated in several Webley catalogs. As far as the checkering, I was simply attempting to point out the high quality of its execution. The exact styles of checkering (English or otherwise) even vary among guns of the same type and maker. Not sure if the butt of any of the Japanese shotguns presumably associated with this gun were left finished "in the wood" in this way. Again, based on my correspondence, Mr. Hamada - obviously an individual of knowledge in this area cannot clearly ascertain that this shotgun is Japanese and has certainly never seen wood of this grade and quality on "older" Japanese shotguns. This is why I was seeking expert wood feedback as to the possible type of walnut and geographic origin - any wood experts out there?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also kind of interesting that the checkering on the butt doesn't match the rest of the gun. Is that common in guns with checkered butts?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes - quite often that seems to be the case. Typically the checkering on the butt is different that the pattern applied to the wrist and fore-end.

Last edited by LuisHunter1; 01/28/14 02:13 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just out of curiosity (from the SKB web site):
History of SKB Shotguns

In 1548, Portuguese explorers landed on Tanegashima Island in the Province of Kyushu, Japan. These merchants were the first to bring modern guns into Japan during the time of the Japanese Civil War. These clan leaders needed modern weapons for their samurai warriors to run countryside.

By the later half of the 19th century, the Mito clan was well established in an area northeast of Tokyo. In a small gun repair factory, which belonged to the clan, Mr. Shigyo SaKaBa worked as a gunsmiths apprentice. In 1855, at the age of 20, the feudal lord appointed Shigyo SaKaBa to the position of gunsmith to supervise the development and production of guns for the clan.

This small factory was known for its craftsmanship; producing guns of the highest quality and strongest construction. Mr. Shigyo SaKaBa is considered to be the founder of the current SKB (SaKaBa) Arms Company. Today, SKB incorporates modern technology with old world craftsmanship to produce a complete line of premier grade competition shotgun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a photo of a Webley with and extend rib third fastener system very similar to my shotgun:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is another comparison photo. Notice also the striking similarity in the engraving style and execution.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"I'd guess it was sourced in the white from W&C in Birmingham..."
Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

If that were the case - and undoubtedly Webley did offer a lot of shotguns in the white all over the world actually according to what was described in their old catalogs - would the stamps and proof marks be applied to the barrels and barrel flats in the white?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a Jefferey with the top tang screw off center like my shotgun. Did they make their own guns or were they also made by Webley?

Last edited by LuisHunter1; 02/05/14 05:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was always my understanding that the Webley & Scott model copied by SKB was the post-WWII Model 700. The 700's have neither a rib extension nor an off-center top tang screw--nor did the guns made for Ithaca by SKB. My 1961 Shooter's Bible has a couple of pages on "SKB Custom Shotguns", and an add for an "SKB Royal Deluxe Shotgun". (The price for the basic Royal Deluxe, which was a double trigger, nonejector gun, is listed as $400--far higher than the guns later imported by Ithaca. However, the photos of those guns also show barrels with no rib extension, and without the off-center top tang screw.)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

...yes - clearly this shotgun bears no similarity to any SKB that I have ever seen. If this is indeed a Japanese "copy" of an English shotgun it seems to be from a much earlier time pre-world war II, possibly 1920's or 1930's -as it has been suggested here - of custom manufacture. There are several early Webley's, and other English "gun makers" from that time period with guns of identical configuration.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.