Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story! Thanks for taking the time to type it up. Print it off and keep it with the gun for future caretakers.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the great story. Refreshing, on this board. Tell us more about hunting in India today!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Further info in Skimin & Wood courtesy the IGC:

Name Skimin & Wood

Address1 31 Loveday Street
Address2 Enterprise Works, 52 Cliveland Street
Address3 10, 12, & 14 Vesey Street
Address4 12 & 14 Vesey Street
Address5 Little Shadwell Street
Address6 3 Price Street
City/Town Birmingham
Country United Kingdom
Trade Gun & rifle makers
Other Address Cannock, Staffordshire.
Dates 1920-1970?
Notes

The firm of Skimin & Wood was established in 1920 at 31 Loveday Street. Samuel Skimin had previously been works manager at Holloway & Naughton. The firm were mainly manufacturers for the trade in the UK, but they later developed an export trade with firms in Australia and New Zealand and elsewhere in the world.

In 1923 the firm moved to the Enterprise Works, 52 Cliveland Street. In 1929 the firm bought Holloway & Naughton (and J & W Tolley who had been bought by Holloway & Naughton in 1916) and moved into their premises at 10, 12, & 14 Vesey Street. In that year they also bought Charles Osborne & Co Ltd.

In 1930, in the UK and the USA, Samuel Skimin undertook the marketing of the first successful 2 inch chambered 12 bore shotgun. It was named "The 20th Century Gun" and weighed 5 pounds. The cartridges were loaded with 26 grains of powder and 3/4oz of shot.

In 1932 the 10 Vesey Street premises were occupied by R B Rodda & Co Ltd, and Skimin & Wood, Holloway & Naughton and J & W Tolley traded from 12 & 14 Vesey Street (Charles Osborne & Co Ltd appear to have ceased trading but survived in name until 1957). In about 1945 Skimin & Wood bought the business of Standard Sporting Guns Ltd. In 1957 Skimin & Wood moved to Little Shadwell Street. In 1964 the firm was bought by F J Wiseman & Co Ltd who moved them to their premises at 3 Price Street. In 1986 F J Wiseman moved to 262 Walsall Road, Bridgtown, Cannock, Staffordshire.

The records of J & W Tolley, Holloway & Naughton, and Skimin & Wood prior to the Second World War appear to have been lost due to bombing of Birmingham.

Tim

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeeterbd, nice little gun with an amazing provenance. It would make a fine woodcock gun. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful story and excellently told! We should all be so lucky to own a gun with such a fine provenance, thank you.

Here are pictures of my Hellis, it is very similar to your gun (especially the gold warning on the rib).

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I want a two inch gun......

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your kind appreciation of the story.

Joe Wood: I do not live in India. I live in one of the neighbouring countries, Bangladesh to be exact.

I have hunted in India back when. It is no longer allowed there (except, I believe, in Kashmir),although some areas allow the issuance of a permit for Nilgai antelope and wild boar when they are destroying crops.

Get a Two Inch. it has amazing handling qualities and would be perfect for long hard walks after quail.A 20 gauge load in a 20 ga. weight gun in a 12 ga. bore!

trw999

Thanks for the details on Skimmin & Wood.

Recoil Rob:

Your gun is incredibly similar to mine in many respects and I would not be surprised to find that it was made by Skimmin and Wood and finished by Hellis. The coin finished receiver makes me think I should remove the bluing of mine. Glad you liked the story.

All the best

Skeeterbd

Sidelock
Sidelock

A terrific story in any manner of conveyance, but one made truly spellbinding by your narration!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great posting and story Skeeterbd, thanks for taking the time....this board was getting very boring as of late and you livened it up.......

Best Regards and Best of Luck with your two inch Eley's.....a class act for sure.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeeterbd, mine was originally case colored, it's all gone now. I got an email from Hellis (http://www.hellis.com/) stating mine was "one of twelve built in 1936/37".

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.