March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Kip, Pat Gidley, Sandlapper, 3 invisible), 805 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 32 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Red oil is just that, a red oil.Not the finishing oil.
Apply Red oil until the colour is rich enough as you would like.Remember subsequent coats of oil may/will darken the colour you now have.
Driers are added when you are making your finishing oil normally about 5% of the total oil, sometimes measured in teaspoons and 2 teaspoons is the normal quote per pint.Venetian turpentine is also added at the brewing stage.
Incidentally I have just uncovered 2 more old recipes and both mention adding vinegar.
Keep on brewing and let us know of successes and importantly your failures.
Incidentally what do the Guilders use for their exhibition pieces?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salo-

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Salo-
Are the new formulas for finishing oil or red oil? Are you going to brew up a batch of each?

I know several people in the Guild and they all use a different commercial finish. Velvit Oil, Truoil, Permalyn, ProCustom Oil, and others that don't come to mind right now.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why do so many people favour Tru-oil?

I think the answer to that is, It gives a pleasing appearance and applied correctly, to the manufacturers instructions it is easy to use.

Why do people have problems with it?

Because they apply it too thick or perhaps more likely, they are too thick.

Why do people use Pro-custom, Permalyn, & Tung oil?

Because they are looking for an alternative and perhaps have had problems with other types of oil finish.

So it is, as always left to personal preference.

I think I have posted the following comment before.

I was finishing a stock for an Italian gunmaker and we were discussing finishes, and he said that the oil finish for the American market that was applied by him as standard was Tru-oil.
'Best' quality was traditional oil finish.

I have one customer who always specifies Tru-oil and another who prefers French polish.

So, the quest continues. I had ordered so alkanet root from a place that had a $20 minimum order. I ordered 2 pounds of root (for plenty of experimentaion) and had my wife order some herbs of some kind to make up the order. Well, the order arrived..... less the alkanet root with a note "out of stock, please reorder" . Then the sun shone. Someone posted favorable results with Behlen blood red dye AND posted where to get it. How wonderful. I saved the sight and, since I've been working alot asked my wife to order some for me. Well, apperantly, they can't ship it to canada . I do a google search to find a canadian supplier....nothin'. Not surprising since I rarely, if EVER find what I want with a google search. I can usually find 5 billion pages of worthless crap, often with NOTHING in common with the search words I enter but.... Anyway, perhaps I'm just not meant to build english guns

Cody

Tact is for those not clever enough to be sarcastic
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you guys considered growing your own Alkanet?
The plant Alkana Tinctoria is a roadside weed here in the UK.You could also try Madder root which is very red and was one of the plants brought over to America by the Pilgrim fathers so they could dye cloth red.

Sidelock
Sidelock

actually, I was just thinking about growing it over here. Saw some places on the net that sells seeds and may give it a whirl!

skunk out

marc ..would you post the sight about the seeds..i would really appreciate it...did you check the first couple of pages there was a supplier called i believe ...village spinning and weaving or something like that ...ordered root from them ..got it pretty quick....bugsy

marc ..would you post the sight about the seeds..i would really appreciate it...did you check the first couple of pages there was a supplier called i believe ...village spinning and weaving or something like that ...ordered root from them ..got it pretty quick....bugsy

marc sight was listed by highstrap on 7-07-06 try these folks out...bugsy

Page 14 of 32 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.