April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Replacement, Ian Forrester, DaveB, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,117
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

I have been hoping to find a nice 9.3X74R double rifle drilling for years and I believe luck has finally come my way. Though this particular piece was retailed by Helmut Zehner of Frankfurt the gun was actually made by one of my favorite makers, Bernhard Merkel of Suhl as noted by his stamp "Bemesu" on the receiver and barrels. The year of manufacture is 1938. The scope is a period Hensoldt-Wetzlar Dural-Dialytan 4X with its original lens covers. I haven’t had the time, and have no idea when I will, for a proper photo shoot but hopefully these bench and den photos will suffice. What makes this DR drilling extra special, for me anyway besides being a 9.3X74R DR, is that it is a side-plate Anson & Deeley box-lock.

Here is what fellow GGCA member and NE forum contributor Kuduae had to say about the action in an earlier e-mail correspondence on the subject of this drilling:

“…this gun is neither a side-lock, nor a side-plated Blitz-/trigger plate action, but a side-plated box-lock or Anson drilling. These are quite rare, as making them is even more complicated, real expensive, than a side-lock. As you have to fit two locks on the right, one on the left of the barrel lumps, these are usually set over to the left slightly to avoid an over wide and heavy action bar. Their advantage: The action area, distance trigger to breech face, is about 1" shorter than the others, bringing the center of gravity further to the rear.”

Here too is a bit on Bernhard Merkel from Dietrich Apel’s (founder of the GGCA) “German Hunting Guns” website http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/ :

Bernhard Merkel (1874-1954) Trade Name: BEMESU - Bemesu

Bernhard Emil Merkel, a son of Friedrich Ernst Ferdinand, founded a Company at Wolfsgrube 16 (in Suhl) at an unknown date at the turn of the century. The Gun Company Bernhard Merkel is taken over by a son Fritz (1906-1976), one of the three children. All kinds of hunting and sporting guns of solid construction and execution were produced. This is also the case during the war years 1939 to 1945. It is not known whether parts for military guns were made, but this was most likely the case. The hunting guns were unsurpassed in quality and handling qualities. Bernhard was himself a hunter. The guns were marked with the B. Merkel Suhl signature. Among others Bernhard Merkel made guns for the Companies Barella, Genschow, Kettner, Kind and Mauser as well as for individual customers. To accommodate the owners and friends in these companies they also performed repairs on handguns.

By 1930 the company had approximately 12 employees. After 1945 Bernhard and his son Fritz (1906-1976) who had returned from a prison camp, worked as gunsmiths together with a stock maker for the Gun Makers’ Cooperative BüHaG into the 1970s.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Kaisergriff" (Kaiser Grip) and butt-stock ...

And now, off to a boar hunt!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations! That is one very unique gun, and a true custom gun in many respects. Love it...Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, Mark. That is...magnificent. Congratulations and good for you.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Büchsemann,
what a nice Doppelbüchsdrilling! Congratulations! I wish I could cary it next week on wild boar!
What is the weight of the Drilling? How does it shoot with Brenneke!
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mark,
Wow!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very impressive indeed, my congratilations!

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buchsemann,

congratulations to this wonderful rifle!
I'm intrigued by the shaping of the buttstock, this looks very unusual for a prewar Suhl Drlling! Apparently with little drop at heel, designed for shooting with the scope, again unusual.

Regards
fuhrmann

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for the nice comments. The subject gun is one of those firearms that really needs to be handled to appreciate it fully, in particular its balance. It's too bad we're scattered as far apart as we are otherwise I'd be happy to show it to all of you. With our fall home renovation project taking us into the holiday season, and then that "Polar Vortex" thing that hit us this last week, I haven't had a chance to see how it shoots as yet. I have a bunch of 9.3X74R cartridges loaded up with different grain weights and charges (from other regulating projects) ready for my trip out to the range as well as many boxes of the new Brenneke 65mm 16 ga "Classic" slugs. I’m really curious to see how the Brenneke slugs will group in relation to the DR barrels. I have a Russian boar hunt planned for the first week of March so I'll be getting out soon to dial this gun in for the hunt; with that a range report will follow. Having been somewhat involved in the 65mm Brenneke slug project I feel a little obligated to shoot a boar with the slug, if one happens to come in close, although doing such a thing would seem rather odd with two rifle barrels parked on top of the shot tube. As to Gunwolf's question about the weight of the gun I hope to post that as well rather soon. My guess would be 9 1/2 lbs. but I'll check and see. Yes, the stock configuration is unusual as compared to what we typically see. GGCA member Dick Hummel said the style of the cheek-piece is early Austrian and the extended pistol grip is called a "Kaiser Grip". Kaiser Wilhelm needed such a thing to accommodate his handicap but who knows why the guy that ordered this gun wanted such a thing. It's very comfortable for me so I'm happy with it. I trust it will shoot well doubting that Bernhard Merkel would let anything mediocre out of his shop but again, we'll have to see ...

Regards,

Mark

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

Per a recent reply from our friend Kuduae (Axel) on the Nitro Express forum, noting the use of slugs in drillings, I may very well be changing my plans for using one of the new Brenneke slugs in the subject Bemesu DR drilling. Reads like it may be a "spot of luck" if my shot tube groups the slug down with the rifle barrels. Kuduae notes that the shot tube of a DR drilling was really just for launching shot unlike a conventional drilling where the left shot tube, using a slug, was generally aligned in such a way that the point of aim was pretty much the same as the rifle barrel using the flipped-up rifle sight at close range.

Mark

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.