April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,069 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bchsemann,

found this on ebay:

Bernhard Merkel Katalog

May be interesting for you!?

FGunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bchsemann,

have a look at this wonderful

Bernhard MERKEL Seitenschlossflinte Kal. 20/70 und WL 16/70 Vorkrieg im Koffer RARITT

on this site:

Bernhard Merkel Seitenschlossflinte

You can see similar details on the original stock on this gun of 1925

Best,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunwolf,

Thank you for the heads-up on the Bernhard Merkel catalog but I already have one. I will be interested in seeing what it sells for though.

Regards,

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Buchsemann
Fuhrmann,

In your last reply to Gunwolf are you referring to the subject Bemesu DR drilling?

Mark

Mark,

no, I was referring to the shotgun in the link that Gunwolf had provided as a further example for a "Krawatte".

To your earlier question regarding the cheekpiece of your Bemesu Drilling: no specific name comes to my mind. But I remember having seen similar cheekpieces with that somewhat "squarish" shape and the front end aiming forward into the wrist on German and Bohemian rifles from percussion and early centerfire times, say 1850 to 1870.
So it appears not out of place, but somewhat out of time.

Regards
fuhrmann

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fuhrmann,

A couple of others have said that the cheek-piece design was reminiscent of 19th century arms they had seen as well. I think we can agree that whoever ordered this gun was not your "Average Joe", as we say in the USA. He apparently was well to do and certainly didn't have a problem spending his money on engraving though gravur schiesst nicht (I like that one). This gun is also a little more "custom" than what we typically see, at least its not the norm for a Suhl gun, telling us that he was particular about what he wanted in a stock design, not just measurement. We will likely never know if his choice in grip specifications was out of fancy or need but it certainly has prompted some interesting discussion. The LOP is long for me but the gun balances nicely. If the weather holds as it is being forecasted today I hope to get out to my range this coming Sunday (afternoon) and finally see how it shoots. I'm crossing my fingers that right off the two rifle barrels group on a horizontal plain. If they do I'll see what if anything has to be done by way of custom loading to bring the two groups barrel distance apart. I wont know for sure until I shoot it but its hard for me to imagine Bernhard Merkel letting anything he made leave his shop that wasnt a good shooter besides being well made.

Regards,

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bchsemann,

some examples for showing - in former times as well as today nearly all is possible!

http://www.gewehrschaftherstellung.de/prod.htm
note thr last picture

http://www.waffen-schweigert.de/Lieferprogramm/UniversalS/universals.html
rather similar to yours

http://www.retzandson.com/de/werkstattleistungen
above right

http://www.retzandson.com/de/jagdgewehre/kombinierte-jagdgewehre/doppelbuechs-drilling
your pistol grip

Best,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

This type of cheekpiece with the bottom edge running up to the comb nose goes by several names. I have heard it called "Altdeutsche Backe" = old German cheekpiece, but R.Mahrholdt in his Waffenlexikon called it "verlaufende deutsche Backe" = running out German cheekpiece as opposed to the common "runde deutsche Backe" = round German cheekpiece, the style even seen on many British rifles. Here is the one on my pre-1912 Haenel M1900:

A "Kaisergriff" ("Kaiser grip" is merely a try to translate it to English) need not be that exaggerated, hooked forward style. At least, the Kaiser did not have a gun with a hooked-forward pistol grip, but owned several with a close, upright pistol grip such as the one on this Bemesu dr drilling. As he had to shoot one-handed this allowed him to have better control of his rifle, but he used guns with normal grips too. See the GGCA's "Der Waffenschmied" #17. BTW, a capless, rounded, hooked forward pistol grip as seen on many 1970s Ferlach guns is named a "Pfeifenkopfgriff" = pipe bowl grip.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kuduae,

Thank you for giving us the proper terms for the various cheek-pieces and grips. Thinking of all that has been said in this thread I hope others are enjoying the education as much as I am. As the horse is still kicking I have one last question (for this thread anyway) regarding cheek-pieces. While the cheek-piece with the bottom edge running up to the comb nose is referred to as an "Altdeutsche Backe" = old German cheek-piece or "Verlaufende Deutsche Backe" = running out German cheek-piece

are there terms to differentiate the rounded back variety from the square back variety (?)

I know, if I was a cat I should be dead the curiosity thing smile

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

That square back variety like on this Bernhard Merkel drilling has no special name. IMHO it is a apecial "design" by the individual stockmaker, who thought it more "up to date" then. Remember, all those stocks were handmade, carved from a wood blank with a drawknife. A "Bayrische Backe" = Bavarian cheekpiece is that almost rectangular type, with both square back and front, often with a distinct flare out at the front bottom corner. The stocks by Schweigert and Lwe (top) are "Bavarian", as both have a near corner at the lower edge before running up to the comb nose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is an example of a thick "Bavarian" cheekpiece on a 1912 proofed Zella-Mehlis made falling block rifle. Note, it is deeper and thicker at the front than at the rear.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.