March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Borderbill, ChiefAmungum, JDH, KDGJ, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 366 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,989
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone who "lives in a low crime area," has a dog that "is very protective," does not worry about being the victim of violent crime because "I don't go to dangerous places," is living in a serious case of denial and tempting fate. When it DOES happen to you, it is too late and your cherished family heirlooms are lost forever. Not one house in 100,000 with dogs in this country has a legitimate "guard dog," and even those can be noiselessly neutralized in a matter of seconds. And people who do not legally carried concealed and trust your instincts to "only go to GOOD places" is liveing in a very serious and dangerous stae of denial. When it is YOUR blood on th esidewalk, it is too late.

There is no one on this board who not only seeks but strives for risk more than me. I am sure there are equals, but I doubt there are folks who surpass my love of risk. In previous lives I have ridden bulls, swam with sharks, caught a bobcat with my bare hands, raced cars, done business with the Russian mafia, and dated A LOT of red headed women. As a result I have now had 20 surgeries and parts of my body don't work like they should.

I love flirting with disaster, but I am not stupid when it comes to protecting my things and my life. Well, stupid should be placed with naieve. Unfortunately, I have too much first hand experience with all of the above mentioned things that happen to good people every day, in every country around the world. I would be irresponsible to deny that "lightening would never strike twice" and choose to live with my head burried in the sand.

I would like to say that in a sense I am very glad to hear people make naieve statements as have been made here, because it means you have not been through trial by fire. I sincerely hope you never do, but I do hope you decide to be prepared for when lightening strikes you. When the first occurance makes you finally prepare for a possible second occurance, then you have gone through some serious pain and heartache. I would not wish that feeling on my enemies. Speaking from far too much experience here.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Movement, or sounds from the street, in my neighbor's yard or for that matter - in the next block is all brought to my attention by the dogs(sometimes 5 of 'em) barking.
Having advanced warning, and getting your pistol ready is everything.
Your guns maybe safe, but what about you and yours?
I don't think some of you have dogs!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Movement, or sounds from the street, in my neighbor's yard or for that matter - in the next block is all brought to my attention by the dogs(sometimes 5 of 'em) barking.

I don't think some of you have dogs!

Lowell, A few years ago some folks organized a "neighborhood watch" get together at a house. We live in an area of large lots with the houses well spaced. Two cops came to speak. Between them they had over 30 years as cops. They both said the best thing someone could do to not get robbed was get a dog. In fact, they both said that they had never seen a house burgled that had a dog in their entire career. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

In a perfect world, we'd live in a gated community, alarmed to the hilt, dogs, motion dectors and gun safes.
These won't mean a hill of beans, when walking thru a dark parking lot on the wrong side of town.
When ask to "give it up," you'll know your Lefever is safe and sound back home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't see a gated community as a perfect world. What's up with the parking lot on the wrong side of town? Where's the dog in the equation? Where's the safe? Certainly not in the parking lot? Maybe it's back in the perfect world...on top of the hill of beans. Give it up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't think the gated community a perfect nail pounding world, try board-ups then!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hounds and harriers, coursers and terriers,
Collies and shepherds and mutts,
Bark loud to challenge us,
Make the vector analysis,
Happily go for our butts.

---Arghie Fuller, "For Better or Verse"

Altho it ain't fun getting your calf notched by old Duke, dogs are generally a commendable lot. All of us have a stock of anecdotal lore chronicling their charm, intelligence, and utility. Most dogs, including those who fall way short in the charm and intelligence department, are motivated by the irresistable impulse to find a paying job. It's been that way since Hector was a pup. Most of the really good positions are with human beings and include perks such as room and board, typically a good deal of affection and respect, and occasionally promotion to the status of family member, so it's not really surprising that these canine careerists promise to worship the ground the boss walks on, to protect and play with the boss'es young'uns, to patrol the boundaries of the boss's patch, and to provide around the clock security services, employing state of the art sensor systems, auditory alarms, and sophisticated interception and deterrence capabilities. For those of us who don't live in gated communities, don't put much faith in those bogus placards announcing "This property protected by ADT", and feel that silhouette lurkers and "We don't call 911" signs are perhaps a bit provocative, a nice doggy looks like a good deal. But taking into account the cost of wages, medical care, licensing, supervisory oversight, morale maintenance and retraining due to turnover, a good safe is a better one.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit, will your gunsafe let you know, if its your son coming home at 2:30 in the morning, or someone stealin' your hubcaps?
A hint Rabbit, only a cat person would ask - but Lowell, how can you tell the defference!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 04/06/07 07:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Concepts I can understand; much better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good man!
...but drink plenty of water!
You seemed to get things a little mixed up in copying my reply.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.