March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi guys
I have been give this rifle from my grandfather.
But iv been tring to find out more info on it but cant find any. Do you guys know anything about it or know where I could find info on it.

Regards

Kyle

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you post some detailed pictures of it including all the markings under the barrels and the receiver?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect a small retailer as I can't find them in any of my books. Neither Boothroyd or British Gunmakers lists them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I found them in Vol 3, British Gunmakers, page 73. But not much information.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Im not sure how to put up photos as I dont have my own website I only have a few photos of it for a couple of year back. Its in storage at Holland and holland in London they couldnt find me any info. I live in kenya and am try to import back to me.
My grandfather got it of a friend of his. Apparently there was two of them made for two brothers but the other one we dont know where it is. I got the serial number will that help to find oit more?

Thank for your help guys

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are 3 serial numbers listed in the book. Slim chance that'd be any help.
Photo's are easy if they are already stored at Photobucket.

But like Mike said it appears that Lawn and Alder were retailers and not the makers. It was very common to put your name on a weapon if you were the seller. Most were 'sourced' weapons from the tradesmen. Today we have no solid idea who those gents were. Just hints. Many of the records have been lost in time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the most I can come up with.

Lawn & Alder Ltd
Brackley Street, Golden Lane
Cross Street and Kirby Street, Hatton Garden

The firm sold shotgun cartridges under the name "The L & A".

As others have said, they appear to be retailers that operated around 1900.

The appear to have specialized in supplying various trips and expeditions.

From one of their ads:
Whether you reside in the Arctic or the Antarctic, the Temperate or the Torrid Zones, your shopping difficulties can be solved by the House of Lawn and Alder. No matter what your need may be, a tropical suit, household goods, a silver trophy or...

They supplied Fredrick Selous in 1908.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Must have been good. I doubt that Fredick would have went to someone that was dodgy to outfit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I can recall one for sale in the last 5 years by Kirby (vintage doubles) IIRC.
I believe it was a side bolstered boxlock, such as the ones from Osborne.
Said Osborne is supposed to have provided these guns, or at least the actions to other retailers such as Lancaster and Alex Henry...
Lawn and Alder was more than likely a retailer only.
If you google it, you come on a thread on this very forum.
Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

At one time Eley Bros in England made shotgun cartridges in almost any colour and with the retailers name and address on them. Provided you ordered a certain number of cases of ammo a year they would supply anybody. The only guide to the manufacture was their name on the brass base of the cartridge. I used to own several 12 bore cartridges marked up as Bagnall & Kirkwood, Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne (Formally Pape, Gun and fishing tackle makers.) The name of the retailer was to imply that the dealer was also the manufacturer. A common practice long ago.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.