March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 309 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#339849 09/29/13 09:25 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend called me and says there is a farm consignment auction shortly close by me, and a 12 ga shotgun by "A Allen of Glasgow" is included on the bill of sale.
JABC? A known name? Curious..
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

A. Allen made guns for a long time and seems to have had a very good reputation. I suspect (but don't know for certain) that most of his guns were made in the trade and perhaps finished by Allen. That's the case with the bulk of guns from the UK. There's an adage often mentioned on this board, "buy the gun and not the name ". Good advice. You'll find some outstanding guns with little known names on them that don't carry premium names on them.

My "go to" gun for skeet is an A. Allen boxlock with 30" damascus barrels. I have shot tens of thousands of low pressure reloads through it with nary a problem. Though just a common gun with little ornamentation money couldn't buy it from me.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The following courtesy IGC:

Arthur Allan
Other Names A Allan & Son; Arthur Allan; Arthur Allan Ltd
Address1 12 London Street
Address2 12 London Street and 144 Trongate
Address3 12-14 London Street and 144 Trongate
Address4 3 West Nile Street
City/Town Glasgow
State/Region/Province Scotland
Country United Kingdom
Trade Gun maker, cutler, ironmonger, edge tool & mathematical instrument maker
Dates 1855-1985

Notes

Arthur Allan was born in Catrine, Ayrshire, in 1833. He was the son of Arthur (a power loom dresser) and Agnes. The family were recorded in the 1841 census living in Commercial Road, Gorbals, Glasgow. They were recorded again in the 1851 census at 53 Commercial Road, Arthur was described as an ironmonger's salesman. In 1855 he established his business as a gun maker at 12 London Street, Glasgow, he also sold fishing tackle and in 1857 he described himself as a mathematical tool maker as well. He does not seem to have been recorded in the 1861 census.In 1866 he opened an additional shop at 144 Trongate. The 1871 census records him as a 36 year old gun maker married to Catherine who was aged 19 (b.1852 in Edinburgh). They were living at 16 Grange Terrace, Cathcart.

In the 1881 census the family were living at 41 Albert Road. Four children were recorded including two sons who later joined the business, Arthur (Arthur (III) b.1872) and James G (b.1876). Arthur described himself as a gun maker and ironmonger. In about 1883 the shop at 12 London Street was expanded into 14 London Street. In the 1891 census the family were recorded living at 21 Queen Mary Avenue, Cathcart. Arthur (III) was described as a gun maker's assistant, James was still at school. Between 1894 and 1897 the shop at 12-14 London Street was closed and the firm traded only from 144 Trongate. The firm had workshops at 2 Brunswick Street but the dates are not known.

The 1901 census records Arthur as a gun and fishing tackle maker living with his family at 21 Queen Mary Avenue. Both Arthur (III) and James were described as gun makers. In 1917 Arthur died and one of the two sons took over the business; the other may have left the firm or died. In 1924 the firm bought the stock of William Horton of 98 Buchanan Street, Glasgow. By about this time the firm was a limited company, Arthur Allen Ltd. In about 1926 the company moved to 3 West Nile Street. They were recorded in the telephone directories at 3 West Nile Street up to 1977, possibly later. They closed in about 1985.

Internet Gun Club has some details of serial numbers. Please send details of your gun or your query by email to archives@internetgunclub.com.

Other Info
The firm loaded cartridges under the names "Empire", "Super AA", Yellow" (post 1910), White Twenty" (post 1910) and "Three Star", they also sold Eley cartridges under their own name.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own an A.Allen box lock pigeon gun. It is as good a gun as the "trade" made.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks! I better have look at it, although most of the nice old British guns found in rural parts of Canada rattle like castanets due to a diet of Canuck Hi-Brass 2 3/4" shells.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have an A Allan 12 gauge that I picked up at an auction, did some minimal restoration and use for traps. Would love to have another. Would you be willing to share a link for the auction? Thanks.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Never mind. I see it will sell tomorrow so I won't be there. Happy bidding!

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi, saw the post and was relived to know I'm not on my own. I purchased my Allan back in the summer and replaced the firing pins and return springs and started shooting low pressure nitro shells at clays with much success.
Since then i've found out the origin of the gun was Birmingham as can be seen in the "dolly head" on the barrels significant to the area, it would have been finished and sold from Glasgow.
I now load and shoot black powder loads with it to some effect on a shooting ground and this weekend had a decent pheasant and a fast crossing partridge with it
Only problems i've encountered is remembering to cock the hammers and waiting for the smoke to clear !!

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have a superb Arthur allen sidelock for sale with original colour hardening that is to say left to age naturally and not polished bright both locks engraved E Chilton on inside been serviced with minor wood work professional. repairs carried out
email wheelerandco@aol.com based in Norfolk

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Wheeler. Welcome. There is a separate forum for sales of items like guns. You will likely do much better by listing your gun in the proper area.

Details like LOP, Barrel length, chokes etc as well as pictures that indicate actual condition, as well as a price, will go a long way to generating interest and a sale.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.