April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, Mark II, gasgunner, canvasback, 2 invisible), 997 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno - I learned something and got to see a couple of nice guns (btw - pretty Fox, Tut). It wasn't all that bad . . . .

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to hold my mouth when some elitist says I, or someone else, "ruined" some gun; when they have no idea which "junk pile" I dragged it from, or what it looked like to start with.Nine times out of ten, if someone hadn't saved it, it would have been turned into a lawnmower blade. Also it is my opinion that case color is appropriate on a plain or lightly engraved gun, but if it is highly engraved,especially with small scroll,it should have a "coin" or "French Grey" finish(preferably after bluing to highlight the engraving).This is only my personal opinion and no one else has to share it.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck - May I ask who refinished the barrels on your Parker? They, too, are absolutely stunning.

Many Thanks - Marc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello. My latest acquisition, Riverside 20ga, 28", Cyl&Mod chokes. I was just wondering about the colors. Redone? Is this the cyanide method? Thank you.

I would hope they are not re-done, I don't think so. If I'm wrong please enlighten me. But if they are, they are. I'm happy. smile

Last edited by RedofTx; 09/10/13 08:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never seen an accurate re-case of AH Fox cyanide colors----has anyone? Here are few examples of originals. One consistent thing I have observed about Fox colors is the light area at the front of the breech balls and the light area at the front of the frame where the forend sits. Every example I have in my collection shows that quality.

Last edited by Craig Larter; 09/11/13 12:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For duplicating original Fox cyanide colors I've heard good reports of those being done by Paul Lippold of Ron's Gun Shop in Oshkosh, WI .
http://www.ronsgunshop.com/finishes.html

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

redotx: riverside stamped guns are actually stevens made products...stevens are not known to be high value guns. therefore, it would most likely cost more to have the colors redone than the value of the gun...it does not make economic sense to put more money into a gun than it is worth to begin with.

the colors on your gun look original to me and as such, makes it quite rare. a stevens collector would no doubt appreciate it.

Last edited by ed good; 09/11/13 09:16 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I got this shotgun, I did some reading, and found out Riverside was a Stevens variant, but thanks for your help anyway ed, and your thoughts on the colors. Sitting on the rack at the local pawn shop, it was the colors that drew my attention. Also, it does close up tight. I did not have it closed all the way when I took the photos. It's still really tight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

rare to see a decent gun for sale in texas. most texas guns I have seen are well used and less well taken care of...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Red, the colors seem to be very similar to an "oil burn" finish I once had on a redone Smith.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.