Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally think that names cut into the stock look Cheaper than a high gloss finish.How about some nice shaped bit of thin Silver inlaid into the side of the stock with your names on ?, I think it would look nicer.Made to look like a old style paper Scroll, or banner??
I've seen names carved into stocks, but I always thought the Silver back ground always adds some class, especially if the actual plate it made to a nice pleasing shape.
good luck with your choice
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 09/10/13 03:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
junnie Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: skeettx

Thanks for the Rixstine's information.... If it was a snake, it would of bite me.
blush I've had Field Trial trophy's made there and always a fantastic job.

I'll play around the idea, I'm in no rush. I like the idea of the grip cap, but can't get beyond engraving anything that the naked eye could see????

If this was a ten thousand dollar high end gun, for sure it would give me pause. I got a good buy on this sweet little thing. Five Briley chokes came with it..... paid half the price some internet gun shops are asking. They must think a suckers born every minute . . . grin

I'd love to have a Winchester model 42, but I'm not paying two thousand for a eighty nine dollar plain jane gun. smirk

Last edited by junnie; 09/10/13 04:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Junnie,
Just my two cents, but a nice condition $2k Win M42 is no $89 gun. Never was, converted into todays dollars. It was always a pricey gun in its day.

On the engraving, laser looks cheap and cheesie, industrial like, IMO. I like your thought of doing it on the buttplate. A classy blued steel or brass buttplate with hand engraving would be visible and noticable. I think it would be tasteful. Stock carving/engraving always looks tacky to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 09/10/13 05:01 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Franc. A tasteful, well-inlaid and executed plaque would look less cheesy than stock etching. It would be substantially more durable, too. If you look through any book on Winchester engraving you'll note the vast majority of bequest/honoraria scripts will be found engraved on receivers or inlaid plaques.

My second choice would be Chuck's idea to do a metal buttplate. The plastic Browning repro plate has a silly, slippery curve. So you could avail yourself of an opportunity to make it more functional, killing two birds with one stone.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cheesy & tacky doesn't adequately describe laser engraving on a stock.

Just because you bought a Browning M42 repo reasonably & it's not a "collectable" or rare shotgun is no reason to desecrate it.

Only Honey Boo Boo's family would consider it a "family heirloom" after it's been laser engraved.

Lot's of good suggestions here on how to do it with a little class.

If you need more room for names I like Frank's suggestion of an inletted plate. You could carry that idea a little further & put it on a plate on the underside of the stock (where the crest plate normally goes except larger).

Sidelock
Sidelock

My opinion and mine only. The little medallions that collector guns seem to have attached don't suit me AT ALL. The Win. 94 commemoratives, the Marlin 39, Stevens Crack Shot, etc. All these silly brass plates just reek "no class" to me and just look like HEIL. I see these guns in the racks and do not pay any attention to them. It is the same thing to me as seeing a S.S.no engraved on the gun. I sure do like the idea of the grip cap or butt plate though. It can be removed, added to, etc. and does not take away from the gun. I read loud and clear that the gun is for you and your family only. If that is true, why mess it up for the others to be turned off by it. Even doing this to a single shot H&R or any other gun, makes an already inexpensive gun to look even cheaper that it already is. Just my take on it and mine alone....maybe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Junnie, go to Rixstine's and look at the sample gun stocks with lasering on them. You'll know when you see them if you like it or not.

Here's one we did before I retired last spring. I would have done it smaller, but this is how the customer wanted it. Any size, any font, any style, and graphics can be used as well as text.

junnie Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: steve voss
Junnie, go to Rixstine's and look at the sample gun stocks with lasering on them. You'll know when you see them if you like it or not.

Here's one we did before I retired last spring. I would have done it smaller, but this is how the customer wanted it. Any size, any font, any style, and graphics can be used as well as text.

I don't think the graphic looks cheesy or mickey mouse. I'm talking fancy Old German script. Font size about 1/2 or less with four names and dates.

Again, my only concern is the acrylic finish on Browning's. Greg T. is sending me a Browning stock with acrylic, I can then experiment with. Brass plates, laser engraving, butt plates. The grip cap is only the of a twenty five cent piece, I don't know how anyone could engrave on that?????

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.