Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#337302 09/09/13 10:24 AM
junnie Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Gentlemen: *Has anyone refinished shot gun stock. *Recently purchase a Browning Model 42.

I want to have the stock engraved. *Laser engraved, talked with the folks at Browning and they suggested the stock be stripped before laser engraving. *Actually they suggested sanding the stock.

It looks like there's a polymer finish of some sort on the stock, I don't particular care for this type of finish. *IMHO: it makes the gun look cheap. *There is real pretty wood on the gun, fiddle back walnut.

Any suggestion??????? *I'm thinking about sending the gun to Simons in Missouri or Cole's in Maine.

Problem is: *If I refinish stock with another type of sealer then the fore arm must be done the same.

This is a Christmas present for my Grandson with four family names engraved, if I can wait that long before giving present. . .*** Perhaps Thanksgiving. *Thank you in advance: * * *Junnie

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah I have a suggestion:

Don't do it period!!

Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you considered another stock for the gun? Have that engraved and refinish that. The engraving will not only change the value of the original stock, but the engraving will also hide the beautiful wood, usually. Since the gun has no real sentimental value, it makes no difference to the stock that none of the other family members handled it. If you must do it to this gun, also consider getting a different butt plate and having that engraved, instead of the original wood or butt plate. JMHO

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Jim, don't do it!! But if you are going to do it then get it done right, your grandson will just have to wait. Those are very nice shotguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Junnie,
Welcome on your first posting
Pleased to have you on this site.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion:

The 42 has a nice grip cap
Replace this grip cap with a silver grip cap
engraved with the names indicated. The original grip cap
can be included with the SPECIAL Gun.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 09/09/13 05:08 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very good suggestions of either engraving a replacement grip cap or buttplate but leave the stock alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stripping the stock might take the pretty fiddle back grain with it,,might..
It's not unknown for the maker of these to use faux graining methods to enhance the wood used on the Browning repro Winchesters. They were very good at it.

The wood underneath may not look anything like it does now as far as overall color either. More than one refinisher of a Browning repro has found that out.

Just another thing to consider before making a choice.

Nice shotguns,,shoulda kept mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Follow the grip engraving suggestion. That high shine finish can be toned down by a good stockman. The less you do to alter the gun the happier he will be later. Family mudflats and scratching or burning names into a stock are not a classic look in the long run.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: junnie
Gentlemen: It looks like there's a polymer finish of some sort on the stock, I don't particular care for this type of finish. *IMHO: it makes the gun look cheap. *There is real pretty wood on the gun, fiddle back walnut.

Any suggestion??????? *I'm thinking about sending the gun to Simons in Missouri or Cole's in Maine.

Problem is: *If I refinish stock with another type of sealer then the fore arm must be done the same.

* * *Junnie

If you just want to tone down the high gloss finish prep the tock by rubbing it down with mineral spirits then apply a couple coats of Formby dull finish Tung Oil lightly rubbing down between applications with 0000 steel wool to even out the finish after each application has thoroughly dried. I let the finish dry at least 24 hours between applications. Tung oil usually does not act a filler but just in case mask off the checkering. It is best to let the final coat cure for a week or so before you use the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My thoughts were the same as Skeettx - save yourself a ton of work and heartache and go the grip cap route. The factory grip caps are a little cheesy.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.