March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think an unnatural number of the English guns of about 75 yrs old or older, sold by dealers in the U.S., show near 100% colors and often blueing as well. The English either don't touch the frames with hands, guncases, or cleaning cloths in the guns life or they are re-done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

This is a link to Vic's gun, colour by Robin Brown. Obviously, this is a new gun, not a re-coloured old action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a light color, not at all overpowering. Interesting even for me, and I am a confirmed grey action- coin finish person.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I think an unnatural number of the English guns of about 75 yrs old or older, sold by dealers in the U.S., show near 100% colors and often blueing as well. The English either don't touch the frames with hands, guncases, or cleaning cloths in the guns life or they are re-done.

Chuck,

With the climate in England there is an awful lot of rust on everything, poor storage etc......nothing much survives that climate .....most of the guns you speak of are refurbished/spruced up for the market place, but there are a lot of beaters out there too.....I think England invented the word mold.

Remember the before and after pictures from Tony Treadwell and others.

Their cars fare even worse, rust from bumper to bumper generally if they are driven and not plastic.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

An unusual engraved re-cased L. C. Smith by Turnbull.

Last edited by 2holer; 08/20/13 08:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another tasteful AA Brown offering:

If 40k-50k of loose change ever finds its way into my pocket, they will be my first call . . . .

Last edited by Doverham; 08/20/13 09:16 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
VJP Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember an article in DGJ not too long ago where Mike Campbell (I think that's his name) restored a WR drop lock where he had it re-colored. He wanted a subtle hint of color as I remember. When it came back he thought the colors were a little too strong. He used a product called Simichrome (sp?)to lightly rub the colors out some. The end result looked very good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore

On the subject, I recall a lovely Woodward hammer gun in very un-messed condition which I lost a bidding contest with a UK dealer for. It made about 4,000. I saw it for sale at a Game Fair a year later, fully done-up and re-coloured. To my eyes, he had killed the gun. Asking price was 9,950. Someone bought it - maybe it was Mike Campbell! smile

I've been offered 11,500 for it. Just think...if you owned it, might be worth 5? cool

Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 grin

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

Originally Posted By: Chuck H

Chuck,

With the climate in England there is an awful lot of rust on everything, poor storage etc......nothing much survives that climate .....most of the guns you speak of are refurbished/spruced up for the market place, but there are a lot of beaters out there too.....I think England invented the word mold.

Remember the before and after pictures from Tony Treadwell and others.

Their cars fare even worse, rust from bumper to bumper generally if they are driven and not plastic.

Yeah they even have a city named mold...

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/21/13 04:17 AM.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.