Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
You guys have me thinking. I think I will specify side clips on my Fox project gun. My gunsmiths already think I'm nuts so why not.

You aren't ever going to get that gun finished, Bill, if you keep adding specs to it! grin

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken; your bullet holes are distracting!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, funny you should mention that. I about drove DV crazy when he was filing the receiver. But he finally joined me in suggesting little "improvements" that I approved wholeheartedly. However, it is now in phase two. I am now driving DR crazy. Geoffrey will be next, has seen the gun and made positive comments, and has agreed to participate. However, you only know if a project is going to be a success when you see the finished product. This is my third project gun that has been entirely completed by craftsmen who are my friends. With one project, I chose to do no metal work, so Dan Rossiter was the sole craftsman and the job is astounding. It is a Parker pigeon gun that was displayed on Dan's tables at the Southern Side by Side.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
You guys have me thinking. I think I will specify side clips on my Fox project gun. My gunsmiths already think I'm nuts so why not.

I doubt you are serious, but in case you are, adding sideclips to a receiver without them would require welding additional metal onto the existing receiver and filing it down. Given the strength of the fox action already they would be overkill or affectation.

That said I doubt you really mean to do it except to bait someone. Then again I have been wrong before.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

It isn't rocket science for a talented gunsmith to add them. Almost all of the DelGrego and Pachmayr Parker Invincibles have them. Affectation, yes. However, a talented engraver can add faux side clips that cannot be told from the real thing until you open the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Ken; your bullet holes are distracting!!

Pelosi on a popsicle stick!!!
I'll bet you have problems with crossing true pairs too!!

Let it not be said that I wasn't sensitive to the needs of others........ smile

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

For those that haven't seen how sideclips are fashioned watch this Arrieta youtube video. The sideclip action begins at about the :52 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A39UlMzwuP0

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate 'em. Finger slicing device. Great to look at on someone's heavily engraved, decked out, bespoke somethin or another. As to adding strength...show me the analysis. They look like camming devices to open the action in the event the barrels actually came to bear against them. But then you'd have bigger issues if the barrels spread enough to really bear against them. They are in the same catagory as "dollsheads" in my opinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I hate 'em. Finger slicing device.

Spoken like a man with a ton of experience with them, eh Chuck?

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's wrong with a Doll's Head. Seems to me as if a properly fitted one should add support to the standing breech to prevent it springing back as much on firing.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.