March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, David Williamson, Southern Sport, Sandlapper, SKB), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Thanks for the caliber markings, I don't see many marked with the caliber before late 1937 or so.

Is there a name stamped on the top of the buttplate?

Yes, I didn't actually notice that there was anything on the buttplate until I saw the image. Looking at it with a set of optivisers, it reads "PACIFIC".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do that all the time, photographed a rifle that I owned for years and looked at the pictures before I noticed it did not have sling swivels ;-).

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc,
An interesting piece with historical ties! Are you aware of Elmer Keith's writings regarding the design of the original Comfort .300 rifle/ammo and his hunting trips w/Elmer? The most info is in "Hell I was There".
Let us know how this one shoots!

Good shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Intresting rifle with a lot of history behind it

German Salazar has a pretty good article on Ben the Rifle and Wimbledon cup. Including a photo of one of his two rifles & the American rifleman article date

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/09/history-ben-comfort-1935-wimbledon-cup.html

Salazar knows his stuff, hung on to long range 30 calibers when most competiton has gone to smaller bores. Other expert in the field is Hap Rocketto who also has a blog. Both experienced competitors. Might ask him for details too.

Opps Xusa already told us that.

Boats

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 07/13/13 07:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
A friend showed me his Neidner, Shelhamer, Kornbrath target rifle. I thought it was just a rich man's toy,never thinking of it as a Camp Perry competitors' gun. It is one rare and beautiful gun.

If it's the same one and considering your location good chance it is. Twice a year after our Schuetzen match I ask the owner of that Neidner Kornbrath Springfield to pull it out so we can have another look. It's probably the finest rifle I have ever seen. I thought it was stocked by Bob Owen though.

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

You have identified the owner, and corrected my recollection of the stock maker. It is probably the finest rifle I have ever seen also. Does this rifle have provenance? I shoot with the owner at the same club, but I haven't seen the gun or asked that question for some time. Bill Murphy

Boxlock
Boxlock

PhysDoc

Having a long time interest in the heavy barrel, bolt action match rifles, I find your rifle very interesting.

If you would please, provide a few more details, it would be appreciated.

Diameter of the barrel at the receiver?
If possible, what is the rate of twist?

It is a very nice rifle, and definitely on worth preserving, enjoy it.

Thanks, and best regards,

What Cheer

Fair winds and a fast ship.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
xausa,

Nice Dubiel, how is it marked and does it have a number with the name?

I don't know how I overlooked this question from Michael, but the answer is that the barrel is marked "30-06 Dubiel Arms Co. No. 734."
The action is Springfield Armory number 1248887 and it is fitted with a Lyman 48 rear sight without the hinged aperture insert. The front sight is a Lyman 17, the kind with a dovetail made to fit the issue Springfield front sight base. It is mounted on an integral ramp with a dovetail cut which just fits the sight. The action is fitted with a custom trigger marked "EADS MFG. CO." and a headless cocking piece.

Whoever has Michael's records might be able to use this information

Sidelock
Sidelock

A note in the American Rifleman, September, 1936, says that Ben Comfort's Wimbleton rifle was stocked by Ernest Kerner of Griffin and Howe. There is no mention of a barrel maker in this item, page 49.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: What Cheer
PhysDoc

Having a long time interest in the heavy barrel, bolt action match rifles, I find your rifle very interesting.

If you would please, provide a few more details, it would be appreciated.

Diameter of the barrel at the receiver?
If possible, what is the rate of twist?

It is a very nice rifle, and definitely on worth preserving, enjoy it.

Thanks, and best regards,

What Cheer

Hi What Cheer,

Thank you for your interest in this rifle. I am sorry it has
taken so long to get back to your questions about it, a combination of a vacation, and home repairs. I dug out the Niedner today and made the measurements you asked for. The barrel has a diameter of 1.2 inches at the receiver. I put a tight fitting patch on a cleaning rod and pushed it down the barrel and measured the distance the rod traveled while it made a complete revolution, it came out to pretty close to one turn in 10 inches.

Cheers

PhysDoc

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.