Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#328096 06/12/13 02:11 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One of my customers came down to the shooting ground today with this gun which I hadnt seen the like of before. It would appear to be a needle fire, probably of German origin.
At first sight the mechanism, which is self cocking, looks similar to the darn in that as you move the under lever the barrels slide forward but as they pass the end of the securing pin they then tip forward.
It is obviously a gun of high quality and the owner must have been gutted when only a few years after it was made it was rendered obsolete by the centre fire cartridges. This might explain why the gun is in such good condition I would describe it as almost unfired condition.
There are no proof marks but I have photographed the engraving as best I could. As you see some of it is around the circular section of the action which is not too easy.
If anyone has any information on this the owner would be very pleased to hear about it. He has a collection of over 200 guns, which were collected by his grandfather. His father did not have any interest in them so they stayed in the strong room. It wasnt till after his death that the present owner had any idea of what was in the strong room. Hopefully I will get the chance to record more of the collection at some time in the future.

I have several more photos of the mechanism if any one is interested.
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right off, I don't remember exactly who Rudolph Berger's, Koethen/Cthen, Wallstrae 19, is related to Constanz Berger & Carl/Karl Ludwig Berger of Wittener Stahl.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Constanz_Berger

But I'd say that it was made of Wittener steel and is the basis for the Dreyse-Berger-Frst Pless-Teschner-Collath variant. Plenty of info here:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post316793

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post294400

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post265283

Yes, I'd like to see the contraption.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The barrels are held on by one screw through a slot.

Turning the handle rotates a cam which engages the underside of the barrels and pushes them back and forwards.

Once the barrels have moved far enough forward that they disengage from the rod they can drop down on the slot.

Opening the gun automatically cocks the firing mechanism. The bolt, if that is the correct term, protrudes from the back of the action and acts as a cocking indicator. The two lugs you see here can be drawn back and rotated locking the bolts and acting as safety catches. I am not sure how the cocking mechanism operates but it looks like the bolts work in a similar way to a rifle bolt but without the handle. The trigger pulls were very crisp.

The firing needle can be seen here, partially withdrawn as the breech is opened.

The hand grip and trigger guard seem to have been made out of some kind of horn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the barrels are Damas Anglais Coupe', Gebrochener Englischer Damast, or Combination Damascus.

H. Needler 12b percussion double

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What are we looking at date wise - I guess needle fire became obsolete around 1860 - so are we looking at 1830 - 1850's?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, his patent date was circa 1860 and I can't find it in the U.S. of A. so I wonder if it was Britain as Germany's patent protection began in 1877. If I'm not mistaken, Berger and the Boys kept fitting and retro-fitting these type actions till say 1890.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've just found this:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/11955570_dreyse-cartridge-collath-style-shotgun-by-berger

maybe it's the gun.....? ;-)

(of course it isn't)

Regards,
Wolfgang

Last edited by Gunwolf; 06/13/13 01:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems Rudolf/Rudolph Berger may have had a brother named Samuel. If so, they had some joint partnership venture. He won some award in London in 1862. Liege was the source for his pattern welded tubes and may have employed up to 15 mechanics and yearly production was around 35 sporting weapons.

1859 Patent

1860 patent

1862 listing for Rudolph/Rudolf Berger, Hofbchsenmacher Sr. Hoheit des Herzogs von Anhalt und Sr. Majestt des Knigs von Preussen, Cthen

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

very interesting the prices Doublegun 85 Thaler, Doublerifle 75 Thaler and the new needle fire 95 Thaler !! And three different types of Damast!!!

Do you have some more of this, I like to read it.

Regards,
Wofgang

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wofgang - all three are high quality ie. expensive Damascus: Leclerc, Bernard, and Better Quality Turkish

What I believe to be Leclerc on a Lefever Optimus

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.