May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (fullandfuller), 795 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It took my V-C sidelock pigeon gun to an English trained gunmith and he said it was a "9 pin" sidelock. I had been told it was a 7 pin and you did not count the hammer axle and the pin that holds the main spring.

I have always been confused on this issue, especially the 7 pin vs the 9 pin discussion. I understand that the 5 pin has coil springs for intercepting sears and the 7 pin has leaf springs but how do know which pins to count to determine the correct type action?

Confused in Missouri---

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Paul,

maybe some help here???:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO15tbeaWGg

Regards,
Wolfgang

Sidelock
Sidelock

So...the two extra holes in the lockplate are for the screw that secures the top of the leaf spring and pin at the fold?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunwolf I have seen Dan Moore's presentation many times and it does not help. I need for someone to approach it from the outside of the lock plate tell me which pins count on the 7 pin vs 9 pin discussion.

Any help appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only pins(screw posts)that count are the ones that hold something. That would be for a bridle, sear, sear spring (if any), mainspring, intercepting sear. Technically the sear post and tumblers are axles.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 7 pin sidelock is for reference sake similar to the Holland and Holland bar action lock which is supposedly the most copied lock in the world. If you count all the pins including the tumbler and the mainspring pin, you come up with 9 pins. Most back action locks I have seen have less than 9, but some have that many pins. I think as a general rule, and barring the pinless lock, the less pins the less sophisticated the lock.....or more primitive the lock. For example, the L. C. Smith lock, which is a 4 pin lock (maybe less if you don't count the tumbler) is a back action lock that lacks intercepting safety sears and I think most would agree, more primitive than a Holland lock, yet probably just as functional. At least this is the way I look at your question which I have pondered myself.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Buzz, is there any reference books that would help me understand better the pin question? I think some people count the pins differently and I would like to know the correct way to determine what lock arrangement that I am looking at. Any more help from anyone would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is an L.C. Smith bar action 6 pin lock showing pins and or axles.

Zabala Derby 6 pin lock

Zabala Derby showing pins/axels. Note the 6th pin is a dummy pin. Since this has a coil mainspring, the 6th pin was most likely used for a leaf mainspring.

You can also see how the hammer screw pivots in the bridle and has an indexing to show fired and unfired position.

Most screw pins have a polished,rounded end to make them look like pins.

Last edited by JDW; 06/10/13 12:06 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the most coveted sidelock actions is the Lancaster 12/20, invented by William Baker. It has only 8 pins. Is it more or less worthy than a 9 pin sidelock?

Speaking of Baker, his other superbly simple sidelock has only three pins, but it makes up in robustness and simplicity what it lacks in pins.

In engineering it is considered an advance to develop a device that works with fewer parts. Perhaps we should keep this in mind.

The Dickson Round Action has no visible external pins anywhere. One reason people like it is because it bypasses these sort of dilemmas.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.