April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lloyd3, SKB, JDH, Researcher, 2 invisible), 841 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

No controlled substances or barbiturates here, just an addiction to the internet requiring a daily regiment of 1s and 0s. I could not make something that good up. I have seen the reference on more than one occasion and I think all refs to be from the same source, Littlegun.be(or GG's site & his contribution to Littlegun):

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20c/a%20cordy%20gb.htm

It may be that Antoine Cordy was the V-C sourcing contact in Liege. For now I just don't know.

If it is true, you are going to have one be goose egg on your face. Actually, I prefer a goose egg for breakfast.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper:
Yes, we have some gems of state holidays with Robert E. Lee being observed the same day as MLK; then you can choose one day in Mardi Gras, or if you do not fancy that then Confederate Memorial Day may be more your liking; then there's Memorial Day and the Jeff Davis' Day. I'd like to see some of the contraptions you mention especially the Sauer. What variant is it?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, I have a J Falla marked over/under apparently retailed in Paris with the marks of " A Saint Hubbert Paris" on the hidden portion of the barrels. It has a top lever which holds to the right upon opening.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll post the interesting gadget next.

Looks like there may be multiple goose eggs for you there Mr. Brown- seems V-C was registered with the Liege Proofhouse from 1924 - 1929. So, am I to understand you correctly that they did not have a presence in Liege? Did they just register with the proofhouse just to add prestige?

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20t%20w/a%20verney%20caron%20gb.htm

More to come I'm sure.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me enlarge it for you just in-case you don't have your monocle or spectacles handy:

Verney - Carron a Liege

So do you want to change your testimony on V-C in Liege or face um impeachment? And they sourced at least 2.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
The latter states: "Manufacture d'Armes Verney-Carron, St-Etienne (Loire). Depots: Paris, 37, rue Vivienne - Lyon, 8, rue des Archers." If there was any absorbing going on, seems to me V-C would have ended up in Belgium--which they clearly did not. Likely some Belgian makers just recognized and used a good design, as in the Helice system.....
Zip in Belgium.)

Just to remind you of the statement. Seems the catalogue was attempting to pull one over on you.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't really make out the tube maker's control mark on the tube at the flats(maybe Antoine Cordy?). Someone gives the EB for Estb. Britte:

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey;
I stand at attention any time I hear Dixie being played. A few weeks from now my SCV camp & my Wife's UDC chapter will be joining in a memorial at the Confederate Cemetery in Tullahoma TN.
The Sauer is a sidelock Knock-About grade made for VL&D CA 1902. The Clabrough I believe to be from the 1890's. Both are as I said double underbolted with a plain unbolted Doll's Head. Neither have any form of wear compensation, yet both remain tight. Both are 12ga. Both have back action locks but with plates that look like a bar action.
The Lefever is CA 1889 & has a vertical set bolt with a hook at the top. This hook engages the notched Doll's Head from the rear. For opening its top is rocked back by the side pivoted top lever. It has a screw through the top tang in front of the lever which bears upon the top of the bolt which can be turned down to compensate for bolt wear. On all three the lever simply comes to center & stops, always has, always will.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

The majority of well known retailers in Paris had their stuff made in Belgium starting at the end of the 19th Century, such that after WWII, there was basically nothing left of the trade in Paris.
St Etienne was also hit very hard and most companies fell on tough times. It is not crazy to admit that V-C subcontracted a gun in Liege in 1966 (that's when this one was made).
V-C was registered to the Liege proof house from at least 1924-1929 and an operation in town.Could have lasted longer.
They did mark it "a Liege" to warn the customer that the gun had not been made in St-Etienne.
None of this is earth shattering.
Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

St-Hubert was a retailer (Armurier) in Paris.
WC-

Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.