May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Karl Graebner, HMAK, Ian Forrester, Mike Harrell, j7l2, 1 invisible), 1,055 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,523
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I mean a season that actually features QUAIL? Anybody have a sense of what the quail population will be like? Will there be a population?

Every time I get set to go see for myself, there is a "Red Flag" fire hazard warning and the public lands are closed....

Is northern California a possibility, or are they all
"Red Flagged" too?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm away from home right now, visiting the Okanagan Valley in south central British Columbia. Everywhere I look are quail. A covey of 10-12 wandering around the driveway at 6:00 am this morning. Driving through a residential neighbourhood, quail milling around every stop sign. I'm coming back in the fall. Lots of public land and most hunters are not bird hunters.

About 30 miles south of here it's a Sonoran desert.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt there will many quail in SoCal. We normally see lots of quail during dove season, but last fall saw very few in SoCal or AZ so guessing the breeding population is way down. Combine that with the dry winter and spring and the prospects are not good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What quail haven't died of thirst will have been burned out in the fires. I think we're in for at least a couple bleak seasons.

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guess I'll start saving up for gas....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect that in New Mexico, we are in for another dreadful quail season as well. Quail populations are all about moisture. Too little, too much or any at the wrong time can doom a population. Females are dependent on early greens for calcium for shell formation. It also triggers necessary hormonal responses. The young need the proteins from abundant small insects which feed on the early season green vegetation. With insufficient winter snow or rain and no rain to speak of so far this spring, New Mexico is now the driest state in the nation. This seems to be the case across much of the Southwest from southern California through west Texas.
No moisture = no quail.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

The link above will show some data on various areas of the country. NM looks about as bad as it gets.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.