May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (obsessed-with-doubles, CJF, L. Brown), 1,040 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,517
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you have run into. Unless you want to make a complicated event more so I would find a FFL on this end and let him deal with it. Yes money will be spent but time and ever increasing aggravation might be avoided. Sometime you spend so much time and energy getting one of these things done that by the end it is just too much. I understand how mad it can make you when you are mislead. Importation is a long and involved process in these days of so much anti gun hysteria. It might be tempting to get a C&R but I might pass on that. Let me explain why.

I had a C&R and had an unexpected complication on the local level. My local LEO had to "sign off" as required and felt that that gave him the right and duty to inspect my guns and storage place on a regular basis. He made clear that he did not feel that these types of C&R are wise and that constant monitoring should be done to make sure that they were not abused. I know that I could have probably stopped or limited him with a decent lawyer but did not for see what a pain this would grow into. He became a pain in the butt with yearly inspections of an unannounced nature. When I felt that my buying days were about over, and we all hit this point at sometime, I got rid of my C&R.

When he next came around and wanted to inspect my guns I refused. Told him to get a warrant that I no longer had a C&R. Nasty little bugger raised a stink and was finally told by his boss to drop all attempts to bother me again for what was a bogus inspection right. His boss, the mayor is my next door neighbor. Problem is that by the time it all ended there were several dozen extra people who knew all about my guns and who knows how many others might learn about them in the future. One of the best protections against theft is staying below the horizon and this jerk broadcast my name and location to many others, "just doing his job".

He also had the local fire department check to see how much powder I had on hand since he learned that I reloaded shells during one of his "inspections". Seems there are state and local laws limiting how much powder you can have at your home. Much to my relief I was just about out of powder and passed with empty shelves. Had I failed I was informed that my fire insurance would have been null and void by state law. If I had a too much on hand I would have been cited requiring a fine be paid. Loaded ammo was OK just "loose" powder was restricted. If less than a dozen at the fire department learned about my reloading and guns I would be amazed.

We are both on each others s-list and his options to bug me are a little better than mine. To say that I drive under the speed limit in town at all times is no joke. So that C&R that made buying guns so easy came with a unforeseen side effect. If you are in a anti gun area or have a LEO who is a jerk, power hungry or just likes to throw his weight around you might be better off staying below the horizon and not fooling with a C&R. If I had it to do all over again I would not do it again. I rather pay the money and stay low.

Your problems will be resolved in time and you will have a gun that cost less than if bought from any dealer in the US. It cost them almost as much to import as you are paying and then they have to mark the gun up to make a profit. So that 21K purchase might have been more in the 27.5-30K+ price range. When looked at from that perspective you are still getting a decent deal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would pay the ffl dealer with an import license the $300. I can tell you it will very good money spent.

You have learned a lesson, and now you know and move forward.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Houston, TX

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I remember correctly from last time I had a (modern, used) gun imported from UK, the US customs "fee" (actually an excise tax on imported goods) was 11% of value. That was about 10 years ago and obviously didn't involve any exceptions for 100+ yr old guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammer Price
possible VAT on hammer price
Buyer's Premium
VAT on Buyer's premium
Freight to Exporter
Exporter Fees
Freight to U.S.
Customs Broker
Importer Fees
Exise Tax
pick up from port of entry

I may be forgetting something, but things can add up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pre 9-11 Customs officer was assigned to the same station all the time looked at cargo & paper entry’s all day. If you were a regular and something they were familiar with it was easy to clear. Now they clear at central offices via the internet sending the release back to the port of entry. Guy on station is mostly involved in inspection and enforcement. You get it right or go home, no help available like we used to see.

Hidden charge is demurrage. Shipment has so many "free days" take longer demurrage builds, Paperwork problem go into demurrage it can be over 80 bucks a day. Something is questionable "Intensive" exam is called and farmed out to sub-contractors. Intensive is real expensive. System flags new importers, far less exam with regular bonded importers.

Working in Ocean Shipping I have cleared a lot of ships, foreign repairs, supplies and cargo over the years. You can do our own; have to have a license to clear for someone else. Personal firearm I consign to a FFL licensed importer notify party on the bill of lading my designated licensed customs broker. Cheaper in the long run

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are not helping our correspondent "Man-0-War" at all. What he needs from us is a lot of shared outrage with his predicament that he can show the un-named Brit auction house he thinks misled him. Lots of heavy hitter sxs buyers here and all...Geo

ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Geo smile I think the stories that have been shared show that many of us have experienced outrage at one point or another with importing... I was just looking for advice on next steps and I had lots of good stories and suggestions... Even yours about having a 21k gun instead of a 20K gun... I'm not going to raise hell with the auction house or their exporter... I'm just going to get my gun, consider it a lesson learned and know next time to figure it in the cost. Life is good smile

Maybe we could start an import consortium, serving all of us, not for profit, but just English gun lovers helping one another... An importing Co-op.

ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl - its a 22.5% buyers premium at Holts and the VAT is applied to the premium... The hammer prices can be real steals, but it adds up fast... and then all of the other stuff you mentioned..

ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

KY JON - Thanks for sharing the story - OK you convinced me, no C&R for me... That sounds like a hellish deal... Is it the same intrusive deal if you get a type 1 FFL?

ManOwar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks again to every one - I will post again as this thing unfolds. And i would love to hear your stories too... You all have been great.. This is a great forum ~ much experience out there, as well as double gun knowledge and a lot of great tales...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.