May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (NTaxiarchis, Marks_21, SKB, 12boreman), 410 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,550
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#324024 05/08/13 07:28 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello all

Greetings from Australia.

I have found a fair amount of info here in relation to the Manufrance Ideal shotguns.

I am about to take posession of a 24 Gauge Ideal gun. Unfortunatley it is missing the clip off the end of the retractable sling.

Do these appear for sale very often?

Haven't been able to source one in Australia yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, where does one source information related to year of maunfacture for Ideal guns.

Many thanks.

ozhunter

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ozhunter,
There is a book by JC Mournetas. It's in French.
The other way is to give the SN. I'll look it up.
Pictures will help tremendously.
Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ozhunter, Manufrance Ideals are relatively uncommon everywhere but France. Parts even more so. I have had an interest in Ideals for about the last five years. Have yet to see any part come up for sale in North America.

As WC says, post your serial number and we can date the gun.

For further information check out the DarneUSA forum in the "other French guns" section. Lots of Manufrance info there as well.

Do you know what model # / grade it is. Would love to see photos. 24 gauge would be especially uncommon.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/09/13 12:02 AM. Reason: Additional comments

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the replies.

The serial number is 58409.

It is a No1. I think it is a fairly low grade gun judging by the stampings on the barrels, but it is still very nice, and fairly rare here to I think.

I'll post some photos once I get it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ozhunter, according to the book by JC Mournetas, your Ideal was made in 1927.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks canvasback, I'll post some pics when I get it home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback,

Have you ever sourced parts from France?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ozhunter, my Ideal had lost its entire sling and sling mechanism by the time I got it. I too wanted to restore the retractable sling.

There is an American .22 caliber semi-auto made by Hi-Standard (I think I recall) which had a retractable nylon sling and the same "Napoleon's hat" style clip end as the Ideal. It should be a 'drop-in' fit in your Manufrance. Someone will remember the model number of the .22 rifle I'm thinking of and hopefully post it.

As for my experience, I bought the rifle just for the sling and then discovered that my Ideal stock had been cut too short for the installation of a recoil pad for the sling mechanism to fit...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Canvasback,

Have you ever sourced parts from France?

The quick answer is no.

Right now I am working on figuring out shipping a gun from France. Since DHL stopped carrying firearms, it has made the process rather difficult. Shipping a firearm from PARIS would be relatively simple. Getting it from anywhere else in France is very difficult unless the seller is willing to hand deliver it to Paris.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/09/13 11:49 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo. Newbern

I to share the same dilema however I am considering adding a lehgth back on to the stock have it perfectly matched and then install a sling, if I can find one.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a GunBroker link to the .22 rifle I mentioned above with the Manufrance copycat retractable sling. This one is a J C Higgins branded Sears offering, but it is the same Hi-Standard rifle I had in mind. Hmmm, under your country's firearms law, can you even HAVE a semi-auto rifle?...Geo:

<http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339504133>

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

LOL, yes we can have semi-auto's. The conditions are fairly strict, but yes.

I 'll see if I can find one of those Hi-Standard's to have a look at.

Fortunatley, my stock hasn't been messed with and the sling itself is in good order.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If all you need is the tip end of the sling that looks like Napoleon's hat, a machinist should be able to fabricate one easily. The Hi-Standard version won't fit the Manufrance holder on the barrels anyway without some grinding...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

JJ Perdeau with Champlin Arms in Enid Oklahoma replaced this missing piece on one of my Ideals, I don't know if he sourced it from France or made a copy - but it looks great.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oz,

I bought my Ideal from the French web site below. Its safety was broken, and I found the part on the same web site just recently. The seller would not deal with me here in the US, so I had one of our former French foreign exchange students get it for me. She is bringing it in two weeks when she comes for my daughter's wedding. She may also need to help me get the second set of barrels I just bought for my Ideal, as things are not easy to get here from France. BTW, barrels were from the same website:

http://www.naturabuy.fr/CABONN-NEUF-EN-C...tem-899508.html

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.