April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Roundsworth, Hammergun, Jimmy W, HalfaDouble, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 403 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am tall and thin and find that I need a stock with about 15" LOP and about 3" DAH. I have a Parker and Sterlingworth that fit this bill because they have been restocked. I used to have a terrible problem with "cheek slap" until I started to shoot a gun with this amount of drop. Now I am in the market for a new grouse gun and was thinking of getting a quick pointing, straight stocked gun but can find none with the amount of DAH that I need. Is there such a thing? Should I stick with looking for guns that need restocking?

What about bending the stock down to achieve a DAH I need? I have had stocks bent for cast but never for DAH. Is that ever done and if so, how far can they be bent.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

tom: lots of old guns out there with 14" length of pull and a 3" drop. put a 1" pad or wood extension on it and viola! you have your perfect grouse gun...should all of lifes problems be so easily solved...next?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say you'll have more problems finding a straight stocked gun than one with those dimensions.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom,

Interesting post. I've not seen a straight hand stock with 3" of DAH but I'm sure someone has done it but doubtful in a production line. I have been able to adapt fairly well to up to 2.75" of DAH on several vintage American SxS guns I own but beyond that I use a comb raiser (Velcro, not permanent). Some of these guns are field grade stocked in American black walnut which has a reputation for not moving much so I don't bother most times. Presently, I have a couple of straight hand stocks that I need bent but only to about 2 3/8" which is where I tend to like them with about 1 3/8" DAC. I'll admit that I have never had a formal fitting but have kind of just figured this out on my own by trying a lot of guns. I also use a Galco slip-on butt pad to extend LOP to about 15" when I hunt with some of my shorter guns with buttplates and original LOP which is typically 14.25".

-jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second the use of the leather slip on Galco pads. I have a number of them and use them frequently, especially in warmer weather with light clothes. When the northern blasts hit and I'm bundled up like a stuffed toy I remove it and have the perfect length of pull. Far better than a screwed on recoil pad. And they are broader, giving about 20% more surface for the shoulder, which really softens recoil.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, do you mean by " new " gun a new made or just a new old gun? I"m 6'4" and like a 15" pull and at least 3" DAH if not a tad more. I have about 12 old SxS's and all have a little over 3" DAH. I used to put on extra thick recoil pads [ 1 1/2' ] from Tony but have figgered out about 14 3/4" LOP is better. In the summer I use a leather slip on pad for 15" and can take it off in the winter when thick clothing is worn. The guns that didn't have 3" DAH I bent. Had one old Remington that would bend like a wet noddle but go right back when cool. Never figured out why. But to answer your question, yes a stock can be bent in any direction. I have a Parker lifter and a Remington hammer lifter with straight stocks and 3 1/4"DAH. They're out there, you just have to find em. Find a straight stock gun and add a recoil pad and get it bent to what you want. Good luck - Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you use leather slip on pads, extra pieces of leather spacers can be made to fit inside the pad to adjust to any length. I keep about four 1/4" spacers in my shooting bag to get what I want.

Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

By NEW I mean older than 50 years old. My feeling is that if it is not aqt least 50 years old, it has no character😏. I should have said "another" gun.

I have found that LOP is not as important for me as DAH. Modern dimensions for me leave me looking at a lot of rib and I have to float the bird to hit it. I also get terrible cheek slap to the point where I get a huge bruise. Flinching becomes a real problem.

I think the idea of the Gelco leather pad should help. I think I will try that and also have the stocks bent to get the drop.

Thanks for your comments.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom: You might enjoy this article that Researcher found in a 1909 National Sportsman. Not the best resolution but readable.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c7UkkNyMTZ9NAztILpzjSLKvgIneAw5i7eqkZ3d3Eno/preview

I'm tall, long necked, and thin also, like a 2 3/4" DAH, and shoot better and with much less perceived recoil 'crawling the stock' than using an upright head position.

Whatever this fella is using oughta work smile

Last edited by Drew Hause; 04/24/13 03:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of early straight stocked Lefevers out there with those dimensions. I just converted a 3" drop pistol grip Lefever to a straight grip (it had a non-original ill-fitting stock, so I didn't feel bad about altering it while in the process of fitting it to the tang), and although I shoot fairly head erect, at 5' 10", that's just too much drop for me. So I added 1/2" comb height and shaved 1/2" off the bottom toe angle to compensate so I don't have a 6" tall butt. Fits like a charm now. Bending works too, but I don't like the perch belly created when bending them up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.