May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (steve f, NCTarheel, bushveld, KY Jon, Guy Ave, Jimmy W), 1,030 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,534
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears that the same steel is also referred to as Rchling Spezial Stahl R7L. Now Herman Roechling(1827-1910)-(Vlklinger Htte) developed a Spezial Steel in 1916 for the German Military hard-bonnets or helmets. Might be a stretch but this just might be the same steel?? But not sure if a helmet steel and tube steel would be similar.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, having just spent a few days in Quebec, I have reminded myself that I am generally no fan of the French. In fact, I heard earlier today that France had pre-emptively surrendered to North Korea. But i have to admit, they do a few things very well.

Double guns is one and food is another.

I know you are proud of your Irish heritage but, as with the English and the Scots, of which I am one, I'm not sure we have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about food from other lands.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, Francis gets on a tear/jag every now & again and it may be Schnaps? Anyway, I'm inclined to think that the R in the Rchling Spezial Stahl R7L just might be for Rodenhauser. Hermann Rchling & Wilhem Rodenhauser teamed up in 1905 I believe it was & it may be their 1st alloy developed between 1907-1916? Their furnace, Rchling-Rodenhauser-Induktions-Ofens, was online by 1908. Roechling had a large influence at Mousson in the French province of Lorraine by establishing a monopoly. Apparently in 1914 in constructing their own steel mill the Carlshtte they were utilizing components, tools & machinery from the French-Lorraine area and after WWI that was frowned upon by the powers that be and in 1918 one of the Rchling fellas(probably Hermann & maybe a brother Robert) was convicted of disassembly of a French multiple smelter and the demerit was 10 years, fine of 10 million Francs and a banishment of 15 years from Saarland. Looks as if Robert spent some time there as Hermann was elusive and escaped to Heidelberg.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Ah, Francis gets on a tear/jag every now & again and it may be Schnaps? Anyway, I'm inclined to think that the R in the Rchling Spezial Stahl R7L just might be fore Rodenhauser. Hermann Rchling & Wilhem Rodenhauser teamed up in 1905 I believe it was & it may be their 1st alloy developed between 1907-1916? Their furnace, Rchling-Rodenhauser-Induktions-Ofens, was online by 1908. Roechling had a large influence at Mousson in the French province of Lorraine by establishing a monopoly. Apparently in 1914 in constructing their own steel mill the Carlshtte they were utilizing components, tools & machinery from the French-Lorraine area and after WWI that was frowned upon by the powers that be and in 1918 one of the Rchling fellas(probably Hermann & maybe a brother Robert) was convicted of disassembly of a French multiple smelter and the demerit was 10 years, fine of 10 million Francs and a banishment of 15 years from Saarland. Looks as if Robert spent some time there as Hermann was elusive and escaped to Heidelberg.

Kind Regards,

Raimey Ja, meine Fruend, Sie bist korrekt- Ich leibe schnapps- Rumplemintz-- uber alles!!
rse

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 04/10/13 08:08 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to hear, Francis as I almost always get a chuckle.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
RWTF, having just spent a few days in Quebec, I have reminded myself that I am generally no fan of the French. In fact, I heard earlier today that France had pre-emptively surrendered to North Korea. But i have to admit, they do a few things very well.

Double guns is one and food is another.

I know you are proud of your Irish heritage but, as with the English and the Scots, of which I am one, I'm not sure we have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about food from other lands.
My oldest daughter, as her mother (my first Frau) majored in French in HS- for her HS (my daughter's) senior trip, they were going to Paris for ten days- The Sorbonne, the Louve, the Champs de Ulysses, all the arrondisments (sic) Ernie Hemingway knew, and wrote about in the "Moveable Feast" !! But World terrorism had already reared its sad and sorry head, and the PTB decided a trip to Quebec was safer- so they went there-

Montreal is indeed, also a moveable feast indeed. Lynne's mother graduated from Oberlin Ladies College in Ohio with a solid major in French; and went to Paris one summer to study at the Sorbonne, the next summer to Switzerland to study at Bern-- so she had more of the influx of how the French folk speak their native language--! Lynne and her mother conversed in French as part of her HS study-- and when she and her friends returned, she told her mother-- "Mom, they don't speak real French French in Quebec, do they?''

Being a mix of Slavic and Irish lineage, I avoid food covered with rich sauces- recalling the old adage-- "Doctors bury their mistakes in graveyards, lawyers send their mistakes to elected political office, and bad cooks cover their mistakes with sauces one has trouble pronouncing well"

As to the Frogs as gun-makers- from a military standpoint, they stink- as for the sporting guns, recalling the late Michael Mcintosh's review of Georges Granger shotguns-- If they are George's guns, let them be and move on to the really great Limey and Italian sidelocks--

No greater egos exist than in France-- one of the numbered Louie's had the audacity to state "Le Etat, C'est Moi" How ballsy- or should I say- Balzac, is that???

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 04/09/13 12:16 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that sometime in late 1908 the Societe Cockerill in Seraing was going to install an electric/Girod furnace or something like a Hroult furnace. But Qualittsstahl and Spezialstahl are recipes that are associated with a Rchling - Roderhauser furnace. Also in 1908 a Rchling - Roderhauser furnace is to be installed in Liege at the Societe des Alieries. This makes me wonder if the tubes were rolled there?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
My oldest daughter, as her mother (my first Frau) majored in French in HS- for her HS (my daughter's) senior trip, they were going to Paris for ten days- The Sorbonne, the Louve, the Champs de Ulysses, all the arrondisments (sic) Ernie Hemingway knew, and wrote about in the "Moveable Feast" !! But World terrorism had already reared its sad and sorry head, and the PTB decided a trip to Quebec was safer- so they went there-

Montreal is indeed, also a moveable feast indeed. Lynne's mother graduated from Oberlin Ladies College in Ohio with a solid major in French; and went to Paris one summer to study at the Sorbonne, the next summer to Switzerland to study at Bern-- so she had more of the influx of how the French folk speak their native language--! Lynne and her mother conversed in French as part of her HS study-- and when she and her friends returned, she told her mother-- "Mom, they don't speak real French French in Quebec, do they?''

Being a mix of Slavic and Irish lineage, I avoid food covered with rich sauces- recalling the old adage-- "Doctors bury their mistakes in graveyards, lawyers send their mistakes to elected political office, and bad cooks cover their mistakes with sauces one has trouble pronouncing well"

As to the Frogs as gun-makers- from a military standpoint, they stink- as for the sporting guns, recalling the late Michael Mcintosh's review of Georges Granger shotguns-- If they are George's guns, let them be and move on to the really great Limey and Italian sidelocks--

No greater egos exist than in France-- one of the numbered Louie's had the audacity to state "Le Etat, C'est Moi" How ballsy- or should I say- Balzac, is that???

RWTF, I have to confess my surname is actually a French name. Occasionally some lovely SxS's circa 1900 show up made by a very distant relative. However, while my surname is French, I believe that French DNA has been vastly outnumbered by the 8,000 or so other contributors to my genetic makeup since Roblin left France in a hurry in the 1500s, a Huguenot in the wrong place at the wrong time. After a shortish stay in England it was on to the 13 colonies for a number of generations before backing the wrong horse and having to leave in a hurry around 1776. Throughout that period and up to the present day it has been one long, continuous effort to dilute the French blood.

When I was in my mid twenties and while happily unattached, I got a phone call from a quite attractive friend who had just spent three years at cooking school in Paris. "Come over" she said. "I've got a month before I have to return to Canada. Let's tour France". So I did. It turned into a three week eating tour of most of the regions of France south of Paris. Searching out the most authentic places and local styles to eat, with a guide who was immersed in the subject. It changed my lifelong eating habits! And as you suggest, my default prior was that sauces were to hide crappy food.

Sorry for the diversion from topic.

Ha! Just put my high school German to use and translated your response to Raimey's comment without resorting to Google.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/09/13 05:16 PM. Reason: correction

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Interesting that sometime in late 1908 the Societe Cockerill in Seraing was going to install an electric/Girod furnace or something like a Hroult furnace. But Qualittsstahl and Spezialstahl are recipes that are associated with a Rchling - Roderhauser furnace. Also in 1908 a Rchling - Roderhauser furnace is to be installed in Liege at the Societe des Alieries. This makes me wonder if the tubes were rolled there?

Kind Regards, Raimey- as an amateur student of metallurgy, do you know what the chemical compositions of Quality Steels and then the Rochling Special Steels are, and perhaps how they differ. Just a SWAG, but it makes sense to me that they were indeed, roll formed there in Liege- but of course, I am neither a "Frenchy or a Belgie" so perhaps, Machts nicht, Ja!!

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Funk drilling with Roechling electro marked on the rifle barrel (bohler antinit on the shotgun barrels). The fore end hanger covers half the "o" in electro, and maybe other letters? Steve

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.