April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 279 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought the FS Harrison hammergun that was for sale on this site last week. I just got it Good Friday, and if anything it is nicer in person. Is there anything that anyone here can tell me about the maker? There is a serial number on it, but I doubt there are any records left? I would love to know as much as I could about the gun. I have tried searching online with next to no results. I found one "wall at Cracker Barrel" quality gun like it that sold 7 years ago, but that is all I have been able to find.
What references would I be able to use to find some more information?
Does anyone else have one of these guns?
Thanks,
CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 03/31/13 08:52 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might want to provide a hint as to country of origin?

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete here's a hint . British proof marks .

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The "England" in the subject and the proof marks weren't there when he posted, I added them afterwards.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing on that name in my library. Any clues as to any address on the top rib? All I can deduce is that it is Birmingham black powder proof between 1887 to 1896. 12 bore chambers and internal bore at 9" from the breech face at time of proof would be 14 bore or .693" to .701". Therefore if larger than .701" it would be deemed 'out of proof' here in Britain. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are several Harrisons listed around the UK .There were also the well known brothers Albert and Jack Harrison in Birmingham in the 50s through to Jack retiring in the 70s possibly one of their forbears?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoof,
One possibility is that it is a Birmingham made gun imported by H&D.Folsom N.Y. Amongst their many recorded brand names
is; Harrison Arms Co,[Frank].
The other possibility is that it is a gun made in Birmingham, engraved with the name of an ironmonger [hardware store]who sold guns and ammo.If there is the name of a town or city engraved on the rib it would likely be possible to confirm same.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/01/13 04:43 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only reference I can find is about guns used by seal hunters:
Google Books

There is a FS Harrison Plaza in Harrisonburg, VA. Not sure that name relates to this seller.

Pete

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No address, "London Laminate Steel, England"

I haven't seen a lot of hammerguns, but it seems odd to me that the screw under the top lever is off center.

CHAZ

The only thing that disappoints me so far is that I can't open the gun with the right hammer cocked. I like to open the gun before dropping the hammers if I haven't fired the gun while hunting.

Last edited by Hoof; 04/01/13 08:27 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoof, this looks like a typical Birmingham lower price range gun .Although it seems to have stood the test of time and looks to be if fair condition for its age . As to the "off center" breech pin ,with the cam type lever and the width of the top strap if you look you will see that if the breech pin was central it would not be possible to fit or remove it as the lever will not go far enough across and would cover part of the pin head . This again is typical of many guns of this type .
Have a close look at the engraving of the name I have seen numerous guns like this that have bee sold out with no name and one has been added later by a retailer .

Please see my PM .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.