May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, Chad Linder, PALUNC, ithaca1, j7l2, 1 invisible), 286 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,554
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#318012 03/18/13 05:36 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can anyone shed some light on the Dakota Arms Legend (Legacy?) sxs model (roundbody with 50% engraving) that Dakota Arms sold? Were these guns made by Ferlib and imported or was there some other relationship in place?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham:

Posed your question to Ivano Tanfoglio, ex-Ferlib owner.
Response, slightly edited for clarity.

"That's a one million dollar question!
As Ferlib I did several side by side (20?) as Legend or Premier models.
This when my friend Don Allen was alive, then with {new} ownership we almost immediately stop the relationship because he was buying guns as Legend or Premier from other guns makers, different quality, different price of buying. same price on retail...."

So the answer is murky, like much in the gun trade, but at least a few Ferlib made Dakotas exist. The example I recall seeing (Ferlib) was very nice.

Hope this helps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know Siace made some SXS guns for them. I owned a Superlight made by them in 28GA and it was very nice.

Gerry Addison
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the majority were made by Siace! They even made a few marked--Ithaca Classic Doubles--that was the same exact gun made by Siace. Steve L. was exploring a relationship with Dakota when his NY operation was ending.

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Gerry and Bill. The Dakota Superlights I've seen have been SIACE-made guns. Bill, was SIACE the supplier when Steve was having his guns made in Italy, or did they come from more than one source? Did not know of the SIACE/ICD relationship, but the only ICD I've owned was one of the later guns, after he'd given up on the Italians.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is a big help, Vic - thanks so much for contacting Mr. Tanfoglio. The gun in question is stated to be a Ferlib, and not a SIACE, but that point remains to be confirmed. Based on my marginally educated eye it looks like a Ferlib and not a SIACE. Too bad it is not a Prince sidelever - that is a gun that never seems to come to market.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry---no--Siace has nothing to do with the original Italian made parts for the 1st group of ICD guns. They were the 470xxx serial numbered guns. The final run of guns--those with serial numbers 471000 and up were not made in Italy and featured Krupp barrels. Dakota Arms was a potential buyer of the ICD business, but legal considerations would have caused the guns to have a different design--hence the few Siace spec guns that were made up and bear the ICD logo. Everything collapsed with the Victor, NY ICD bankruptcy and as Walt Snyder indicated, all remaining assets were bought by a Texas fellow. I'm told he did sell the entire lot to Doug Turnbull a few years ago. There were approx 50 parts sets left for the double guns and a few single barrel trap part sets too! Perhaps Doug will build them in the future. He did much of the work on the original ICD guns.

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun in question resembles, very closely resembles a Dickson RA, then 99% sure it was made by Ferlib. If the gun is marked as a super light, has a scalloped frame, and looks like a rounded off box lock, it was probably made by Siace.
Never heard of the Siace/ICD connection either. Mario Beschi,yes. Siace no. Huh. Interesting.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I own a Dakota Ferlib 20 bore that I am looking to sell...it is a virtual clone of a Dickson Round Action, chopper lump barrels, articulated front trigger, a best gun in every regard. Pics can be viewed at jthagency.com under used guns/Dakota. Feel free to contact me if you have questions: ohgunrunner@yahoo.com.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, Vic, does this mean that Ferlib has a new owner? If so, do you have an idea how active they are?
I have a sidelock ejector that Ferlib made in the early 80's and it is superb quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.